Polished Gold Steel?

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Nickola, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Nickola
    Nickola Well-Known Member
    Look at these images

710x528_19004952_11104163_1496296922.jpg

710x528_19244787_11104163_1497984385.jpg

710x528_16811977_9830882_1480928335.jpg

710x528_19269192_9830882_1498135279.jpg

As you can see 1 & 2 shows Polished Gold Steel as expected but 3 & 4 image?

In 4th image is supposed to be Polished Gold Steel but it is not goldish enough! Compare to the second photo!

I asked for a refund so I can reprint the product and indeed Shapeways refund me the money. But they told me that the 4th image is within the torelance of what Polished Gold Steel should look like!

What do you think?

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    An expected tolerance is rather nebulous if it can't be backed up with hard measurements. Is there even such a thing as a measurement instrument that can screen objects to see if they fall within that certain ranges of color, smoothness, reflectivity, etc. prior to shipping? In theory they could post photos on the materials pages showing expected ranges of appearance as delineated by such measurement standards.

Having said that photos of finished parts can also look vastly different in different photos or when seen with the naked eye, being influenced by camera, lighting, exposure time, object geometry, etc. and the same would apply to photos taken by Shapeways for a materials page. But finish quality/plating problems as sporadically reported by customers are not exactly a new development. There must be a way to successfully screen for such things in the 21st century.

3. Nickola
    I totally agree with you

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The two pictures look like very different lighting. Is it possible to get a side by side?

5. Nickola
    of course i will but trust me the two products are very different though the same material!

6. Youknowwho4eva
    I'm not doubting you :-D With them side by side, in the same lighting, I can talk to others about how we should show the possible variations.

7. Nickola
    When i take them I will take the photos you requested : )

something else now... why heatmap view on automated wallthickness check does not work? when i used to check this tool it gave me green or red. now only grey!!!

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Not sure, I'll report

9. Nickola
    ok. thank you i'll wait for your feedback on this

10. Youknowwho4eva
    I'm told the fix is going out now. So should be up and running shortly

11. Nickola
    Thank you for the info

12. Nickola
    It is now black (heatmap view) :(

13. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    I would say it wasn't gold finished AT ALL
    I had that with a nickel steel piece...I had one turn up in "stainless steel" and the same design in "nickel steel" and they were identical. I complained and they agreed that it had likely just not been coated at all and reprinted rather than refunded.
    I would say yours was just the base stainless steel

14. Youknowwho4eva
    The plain finish ranges from a steel color which would be much like the nickel platting, to a more bronze color. Depending on the infusion process, and how much bronze comes to the surface. I don't know how much this effects the plating process, but I do know there are variations in the plated finishes.

15. Nickola
    the photos to compare the differences (next to each other) in polished gold steel

Attached Files:

16. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    The bullion bar clearly did not make it to the correct finishing line. SW should reprint & ship it for free. -S

17. Youknowwho4eva
    As the OP mentioned, we've already refunded. But I agree, the side by side does make the bar look like it's not coated at all.

18. Nickola
    Correct