What Are Your Favorite Chains?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by virginia_gordon, Jun 27, 2017.

1. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Hi!

Which types of chains do you use for your pendants and necklaces?

Do you use different chains for steel pendants versus cast metal ones?

I'd love pictures if you have them :)

2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Hi Virginia,

I'll pipe in here because it sounds like you might be gearing up to offer chains via Shapeways, and I'm totally on board with that happening some day!

The chains I use are anchor/round link chains. They are 1.5mm wide and I offer them in 40 cm/16 in or 45 cm/18 in lengths. They are made from sterling silver, gold-plated sterling silver and rose gold-plated sterling silver. I don't know if they're my 'favorite' chains, but none of my customers have complained about the chain yet, so there's that. For the stainless steel, I use either a silver or gold-plated chain depending on how much bronze color is in the piece. Gold-plated steel pieces get gold-plated chains. Bronze pieces get rose gold-plated chains, even though it's not quite a perfect color match. Here are some photos:
    C3 leaf anat pendant 2_43sm.jpg silver with silver chain
    axoneme 2_43sm.jpg gold-plated steel with gold-plated silver chain
    discalia anker swsm.jpg raw bronze with rose-gold plated silver chain
    zebra steel side sqsm.jpg stainless steel with rose-gold plated silver chain

As you can see, the stainless steel is really hard to match to a chain color-wise, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast. :)

chanusa and virginia_gordon like this.
  3. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    I tend to use flat drawn cable or long box chain, because I like the shape of the links. But I would be happy w/ just about any generic style if they are offered here!

I prefer lobster clasps to ring clasps. 1.5mm chains seem to be reasonably sturdy.
    For silver pendants, I use sterling silver chain.
    For bronze, brass, or gold plated pendants, I use gold filled chain, rather than gold plated.
    For steel, I use steel ball or steel cable chain, which is available in a variety of colors.

18" is the most common length requested but I have a couple of pendants that I created for long chains (24" or 30") so for those, I don't offer a choice. But if just 18" were offered here, I'd be fine w/ that.

A visit to a couple of the wholesale shops in the jewelry district is probably worthwhile to check out the variations in chain design, thickness, and clasp choices.

@Ontogenie - your pictures and pendants are beautiful!

Ontogenie likes this.
  4. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    I would definitely go for a flat drawn cable if it wasn't too wide. 1.5mm might be a bit too delicate. I haven't had any break so far, but perhaps 2mm would be better. I agree that the 18" chains are most popular. I should probably offer some longer ones as well.

@seriaforma Thank you for the sweet compliment!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017