Ring Size Variants

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by jamieedodger, Jun 24, 2017.

1. jamieedodger
    jamieedodger Member
    Hi, I've done some searching but haven't found an answer so here goes... I've made a ring which I'd like to sell with all ring size options. I need to resize the model muiltiple times and upload it with the right sizes.

When I look at the shapeways options vs the ISO standards, there's a mismatch in 'EU' sizing. Why?

What is the missmatch?
    I've copied the ISO 8653:2016 into an excel spreadsheet and have added the Shapeways EU size as column 5 from left. I've aligned the Shapeways EU numbers agains US, Canada and Mexico sizing.

Now looking at the first four columns, I'm assuming SW 'EU' is actually refering to the inside circumferance rather than actual EU sizing terminology (e.g. C/C&1/2). However, SW EU doesn't match with ISO inner circumferance, why?

E.g. the first SW EU is 40.5 and the actual standard says 40.4? The difference is only 0.1 here, but it grows to ~0.4mm difference at the US 7&1/4 size and to 0.7mm difference at US size 13.

So my questions are:
    1. Why is there a mismatch (something to do with shrinkage/processing?)?
    2. When I resize my model, ideally I'll just change the ID of the ring to what's listed below, but this diameter doesn't align to the SW EU circumferance. Should I resize using the SW EU inner circumfereance rather than inner diameter?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

upload_2017-6-24_15-3-52.png

2. Now looking at the first four columns, I'm assuming SW 'EU' is actually refering to the inside circumferance rather than actual EU sizing terminology (e.g. C/C&1/2). However, SW EU doesn't match with ISO inner circumferance, why?

E.g. the first SW EU is 40.5 and the actual standard says 40.4? The difference is only 0.1 here, but it grows to ~0.4mm difference at the US 7&1/4 size and to 0.7mm difference at US size 13.

3. why is there no any answer from the guys above?
    i could have potentially tricked a client here.

4. SnowCreation
    SnowCreation Member
    I too noticed that the Shapeways measurement is smaller than standard (except fot that one). I assume it's to allow some thinning through the polishing process, which then results in slightly longer inner circumference, thus ending up closer to standard.