Any way to estimate weight in 14k gold ?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 826196_deleted, May 31, 2016.

1. When i put in my 3D image of a ring it tells me the price in 14k gold will be $1396.22. Is there any way to tell what the weight will be ? I have attached the file, if any one can help me that would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Density of 14k gold varies between about 13 and 14g/ccm (or over 15 for modern "white" that has palladium instead of nickel) depending on what the non-gold elements in the specific alloy are (see bottom of materials page for alloy compositions used). You can find the volume of your model on its shapeways page if your software does not show it - going by the price you mentioned it appears to be about 2.2 ccm, or about 30 grams of their "14k yellow gold" (density around 13.3 if my quick calculation is correct - you will find 13.6 quoted for an alloy with equal amounts of copper and silver, but shapeways' has more copper)

3. Interesting, thanks alot !

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    It is quite simple - on the model page you will find an entry for "Material volume" that you need to multiply by the density of that material. (In my example above 2.2 ccm times 13.3 g/ccm is 29.26g - I wrote "about 30 grams" as the density of 13.3 was just an estimate based on a similar alloy)

5. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    THIS is a site I use to calculate silver in troy ounces. -S

6. Shea_Design
    The volume of your model in cubic centimeters (cm3) from your model page which indicates that spec. -S

7. Shea_Design
    Well I got 6.35 but it seems you are on track. Correlating 14 VS 24 Kt is another issue. So yes approaching $8,000 US (22 - 24 Kt) in raw material plus print etc. I can not attest to the accuracy of this approach, how slice volume is calculated etc but this should be ballpark. -S

8. Shea_Design
    Previously only NURBS models could have volume calculations produced but since SW is calculating PolyMesh models (STL) I imagine they achieving this by calculating the area of the slices and adding that up for dimensional volume, just a guess. Correlating 14 & 24 Kt is a matter of how much gold, silver & copper (etc) is in the material. I'm not going to try and solve that puzzle and suggest searching the net and reading a bit to gain some insight. The difference in weight would probably be negligible, perhaps 5 to 10 grams for a part of that size (6 + Oz T) IF I was to guesstimate. Of course 10 grams of Gold is not exactly cheap and SW should generate a price that reflects the reduced gold content of 14 Kt.

1461757_deleted likes this.