Introducing The Hp Printer! Sign Up For Early Access

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Apr 26, 2017.

1. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    It is the "detailing agent" in printer (that somehow makes the edges of model sharper), isn't it?

2. Oliver_Krangle
    Oliver_Krangle Well-Known Member
    Finally took some photos of my pen blanks. I have two flavors. One with angled disks and the other plain with no pattern. I had these made not only in the new HP plastic but also red SF and polished metallic plastic.

disksblank2.jpg
    disksblank4.jpg

Above 2 photos, black and gray are HP plastic and red is red strong and flexible.

plainblank1.jpg

plainblank2.jpg

Above 2 photos, black and darker gray are HP plastic and lighter sparkly gray is polished metallic plastic.

Some impressions of the parts... The HP gray plastic is a bit color mottled and not as consistent in color as the polished metallic plastic. This mottling is at a larger scale than the finer grain details but it isn't terrible and actually adds a bit of interest for something like a pen body.

The disks are a bit fatter for the HP plastics, and that means the gaps between the disks are a bit smaller.

The finishes of the no-patterned tubes feel mostly the same. The polished alumide (old polishing) is a wee bit smoother although there are still some detectable bumpies when you run your finger over the surface. I plan on putting these on a lathe to see what happens with a cutting tool and various polishing media.

I also measured the lengths and weights of the tubes. All were designed to be 52 millimeters in length.

Angled disk tubes

red SF 3.7 grams 52.13 millimeters
    gray HP 4.5 grams 51.90 millimeters
    black HP 4.6 grams 52.00 millimeters

Smooth tubes

polished metallic plastic 6.7 grams 52.06 millimeters
    gray HP 5.1 grams 52.03 millimeters
    black HP 5.2 grams 52.04 millimeters

As I recall the tubes were all slightly over-sized in length by a smidgen to allow some sanding if necessary to flatten the ends for better mating with pen hardware components in the pen kit. In these cases it's the rounding or cupping of the tube end surfaces that will probably need a few light passes on a fine grit sandpaper to get them flat. But I'll know more after I start to assemble them.

One more thing. The insides of the printed tubes were a little different based on how the 7 millimeter brass tube from the pen kit fit inside of the banks.

For both the red SF and polished metallic plastic the brass tube slides in easily, although for the red SF the hole might be a tad bit too large and there's a little wiggle of brass tube when inserted. That's easily fixed with a few light lines of thin paint applied to the brass tube before assembly. We're probably talking about 0.001 to 0.005 thousands of an inch excess of inside diameter and that's below or near the print layer resolution of the printers.

The diameters of the HP plastics are on the very tight side. I couldn't stick the brass tubes into them without risking them getting stuck so the HP tubes will need a few light swipes of the inside hole with a small diameter round file.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. RayP1949
    RayP1949 Member
    I had three different items printed that had been previously printed in WSF but I have to say that this HP material hasn't impressed.

One model with inverted T shaped slots ended up with just a I slot, this was to take code 70 model rail. It appears that the base slot is solid and the material can't be removed. This print is no good, a wasted effort and money.

The second model had softer detail than the WSF version and the detail is small (rivets) but important, no detail = no model. This might be acceptable, hard to tell what I customer would think. I won't be including this material as an option for this model.

The third model seemed to have a better surface finish but when airbrushed with enamel paint it seemed to go fuzzy. Perhaps the solvent had an effect or the surface fuzziness was there but couldn't be seen for the grey flecks. Enamel was used as the colour was correct, I normally use acrylics but the customer may use either. The WSF equivalent model had to be undercoated with a high build primer to close the surface and then rubbed with wet and dry paper. The HP model was tested as delivered to see if the surface was smooth as it comes, answer - not really.

I will wait to see what eventuates from this trial before committing any further time and money.

4. MichaelAtOz
    MichaelAtOz Well-Known Member
    I just received my order, I have 7 items (1 in black), I'll detail the results in separate posts with pics.
    For now I'll confirm the dimentionality is an issue, compared to Polished S&FP. In particular the IDs are tighter (early results ~0.5mm, to be confirmed), so two models which were designed to friction fit were unusable (thanks Shapeways for the store credit).
    In general I like it tho.

My initial interest was that it looked closer to the colour Dyson uses (compared to Metalic Plastic) and it is, so that's good.

upload_2017-6-25_9-27-43.png

To be continued...

5. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    I build large scale ship models, and when using 3DP parts, I usually need to go to FUD for reasonable detail. This gets pricey for larger parts, so my main hope for the HP SLS is reasonable surface finish at a reduced cost (relative to FUD).

Here are a couple parts that show the difference. Depending on the part, I may be able to use the HP SLS... when the original part was a rough casting for example, this stuff works.

A pair of yokes for fireboat fire monitor; the mat is marked with 1 inch squares.
    a10148947-217-b20170624_205150[1].jpg

You can just see the print layers on an angled surface. The "pipe" is about 1/4 inch diameter.
    a10148954-250-b20170624_210451[1].jpg

Primed, painted & assembled:
    a10148957-189-d20170625_154010[1].jpg

You can see the bumpy surface on the HP part (right), and smoother FUD (left). In this case, the texture is acceptable.
    a10148959-63-d20170625_155146[1].jpg

BTW: Both yokes have a hollow passage running through (they can really work). The support wax cleared nicely from the FUD part, but the HP part was impacted... it took a lot of poking, washing, and blowing to clear out the nylon powder.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  6. MichaelAtOz
    This is this Dyson Adapter, in HP-Grey.
    The inside measurements of the STL are:
    For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Measurements.PNG
    So 35.50mm ID (excluding the ribs), ID of ribs 34.20mm, Inside gap of two slots 39.70mm.

These are corresponding HP measurements:
    For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside Diameter SANY1445.JPG
    ID (ex ribs) 35.18mm [The flash didn't reproduce the look too well]

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside ribs SANY1446.JPG
    ID ribs 34.00mm (unfortunately the OD of the Dyson tools is 34.20)

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside slots SANY1448.JPG
    Inside slot gap 39.41mm

Corresponding sizes in Polished S&FP
    For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside Diameter S&FP SANY1450.JPG For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside ribs S&FP SANY1449.JPG For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Inside slots SANY1451.JPG
    35.51mm, 34.29mm, 39.83mm

I'll show some Outside dimensions later.

To be continued...

7. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    If there's some kind of feature/geometry size increasing effect going on can it be corrected with some printer adjustments? Or can files be pre-compensated to correct for this?

8. MichaelAtOz
    To be fair, in the comparison, the blue was ablative polished, the Grey unpolished. I'll order a small section of the top section in HP Black & Red S&FP blasted Powershot polished with my next order to compare.

9. knoted
    knoted Active Member
    I'm anxiously awaiting my first HP order....because of seeing the mixed results in here.....

10. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    Any update on the publically available for sale date?

11. patmat2350
    Another oddity: The bottom faces of my wider parts were slightly but noticeably cupped.

Why?

cupping.jpg

12. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Another question might be how was that print oriented during printing? Is that cupped side positioned up or down during printing?

My guess is the cupping actually faces downwards because there are more material stresses for the first few thin layers. But if the print was in the printer sideways then it's a completely different mechanism causing the warping.

13. patmat2350
    I also suspect bottom... but how can it happen (pucker upwards in the middle) without fouling the following layers?

In this case, there were sprues below this surface, so the part would have soft powder under it...

sprued.JPG

14. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    shrinkage from cooling I suspect makes the cupping effect

15. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    So up or down faces?

16. knoted
    knoted Active Member
    You know.... with quite a few of my WSFP prints, I noticed inconsistent orientation post print - while I am certain I set and saved print orientation a certain way. As if it 'resets' randomly.

So yeah... I am just alluding to .....

17. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  18. knoted
    knoted Active Member
    Well, I just reveiced my HP prints and I am very satisfied. It pretty much looks to me what a proper Black Strong Flexible Polished would have been like.

The model : https://shpws.me/O1VO

Dimensions seem to be spot on. No cupping artefacts. No loss of detail. In this particular case : good job Shapeways!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They work very well with the toy they're intended for :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    104516_deleted likes this.
  19. MichaelAtOz
    Continuing with outside measurements.
    Again this is the Dyson Adapter, HP Grey

OD is OK.

This is the STL.
    For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Measurements Outside.PNG
    Width of tab on side;
    For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Outside tab SANY1455.JPG

STL 2.2mm HP 2.55mm

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Outside flat SANY1456.JPG
    STL 9.59mm HP 9.73

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Outside tab retaining SANY1458.JPG
    STL 8.00mm HP 8.23mm

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Outside button SANY1460.JPG

STL 16.76 HP 16.77 (close enough)

For Dyson V8 - Adapter Pre - v6-05B Outside flat wide SANY1461.JPG

STL 21.00mm HP 21.03 (close enough)

So interesting variability.

(one of my other items had cupping to, concave. That will be my next installment)

20. patmat2350
    Umm, this picture... you might think twice about posting images that imply that such parts are suitable for carrying suspended loads...

[​IMG]