Change Shipping Companies

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by simon100, May 16, 2017.

1. simon100
    simon100 Member
    Hi can you change to a faster shipping company usps is slow and for us in australia the tracking only shows departed then delivered so its not really tracking. I realise some people might want to cheapest shipping but to my self and im sure many others the speed is far more important. I find dhl usually gets stuff places almost as quick as is possible. Mouser manages to offer dhl as free shipoping so it cant be that dear.

2. Michael_Teiniker
    Michael_Teiniker Well-Known Member
    Any order to Australia takes such a long time. Normal post would be faster and cheaper.

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Same question for France: in European countries where both DHL and UPS are available (Germany, Netherland, Belgium, Luxembourg), DHL is always faster and less expensive. Is there a plan to offer DHL in France too?

4. Innvotronics
    Innvotronics Member
    Good luck, I live an hour from the Shapeways' Long Island City NY location. I have 3 orders that shipped on 06/28/17 and the expected delivery date says 07/4/17. No one delivers anything of the 4th of July in the U.S.A. so I might get it on 07/05/17. That is ridiculous. I could walk to pick the parts quicker. Totally unacceptable.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I would not bet on that. For me in central Germany, DHL takes at least one day longer although the routing from Eindhoven according to the tracking pages is quite similar. Recently at least the local distribution center nearest to me appears to have resorted to overloading their delivery vans - net result is that the unhappy driver tags some fraction of parcels as "delivered to original recipient" at the start of the tour and the actual delivery happens one or two business days later when s/he actually gets round to it.

6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
  7. rkahr
    rkahr Member
    Shapeways shipping is unacceptably slow and is being used as an additional source of revenue for them. State-side they use something called UPS Mail Innovations that involves a hand-off between UPS and the USPS. Search for that service and you find it is a low-cost bulk delivery that uses UPS to freight packages to specific USPS transfer points. That transfer adds additional delay to the process but is a great deal for both carriers. UPS can use their long-haul network without having to send their local delivery teams out to criss-cross the nation's neighborhoods. USPS avoids the long-haul volume and leverages their "last mile" carriers that visit every house everyday anyway.

Shapeways is getting away with charging retail rates for this bulk service.

8. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    I don't begrudge them making money. Shapeways is running a business and the point of running a business is to make money.

What I don't like is that this new shipping option worse than what they had before and that they couched it as a service "upgrade" for their customers as opposed to a cost savings measure. This new method is going to be hell during the holidays - a shopping period which is already stressful enough.