Sealing A Woodwind Instrument

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 293105_deleted, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I'm relatively new to 3-d printing and working on the 2nd iteration of a WSF flute. I need to seal the bore, the open inside of the cylinder body, to make it airtight (or mostly airtight at least) and smooth for tone quality. The instrument will be compatible with an existing silver headjoint/mouthpiece. After looking around the forums a bit, I am still unclear on the best options for sealing that will be safe from moisture and non-toxic. Can you all help me with some recommended practices for sanding and products? I want to be careful about removing too much material to keep the dimensions as close as possible to what I intended.

Thanks much!

2. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    I'm about to try a technique for just this kind of purpose: waterproof (important in a wind instrument, for sure), stronger, and dimensionally accurate/consistant.

The idea is to fill the voids in the WSF with a 2-part epoxy resin. Completely.

I did one part previously, though with an incorrect procedure. The results were technically a failure, but pointed to what should be a correct solution.

The basic concept is to immerse the part in the resin, apply a strong vacuum to remove all the air from the WSF (and the resin, as an added bonus), then release the vacuum and drain off the excess resin. The liquid resin should get forced into the gaps by simple atmospheric pressure.

"Failure" came by immersing the part first, then applying vacuum. I used too small a vacuum pump, though. It took so long to pull enough vacuum that the resin was still "foaming" from the WSF venting its air by the time the resin was starting to cure. (Made a heck of a mess!) The new (untested as yet) method will involve pulling the vacuum first, isolating the vacuum source, then releasing the resin into the "tank" in one shot. Air won't have access until the resin has filled the tank entirely - drowning the part, if you will - so only the resin has access to filling the voids.

Bear with me. I'll be running the experiment soon and will update upon completion.

3. 21571_deleted
    21571_deleted Member
    Did you get this to work? Thanx.
    PS- recorders (moek brand) are sometimes sealed with paraffin wax.

4. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Oy. *hangs head*

That project is still waiting for me to get to it. Should be getting done in the next few weeks, if all goes well in the rest of my life.

5. I'm just coming back to my project as well, 3rd iteration now. Thanks for the idea, @FreeRangeBrain!