First Time Ordering Porcelain

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by jakeangell, May 22, 2017.

1. jakeangell
    jakeangell Member
    Got my first Porcelain models. I really wish I would have done one larger to see what detail would have held. I sent them not knowing what to expect. The porcelain models are a little over 5" tall. Learned alot from them, wish they would have held more detail and not pooled the glaze as much BUT I also see what I could improve to make it a better piece. What ya think?

Attached Files:

2. Schmeagle
    Schmeagle Well-Known Member
    I like it! It looks like it would be fun to paint when printed in plastic.

Are you planning more in different poses?

Unfortunately, I've only ordered a single model in porcelain, with my second still several weeks out, so I can't contribute too much. You might want to try the "gloss oribe green", though. I've noticed that it seems to have a good amount of contrast. The deeper details are much darker while edges are brighter. See my example below:

710x528_18721116_10873481_1494296941.jpg.png 710x528_18508620_10873481_1492656765.jpg.png Untitled.png

Also, it's difficult to determine how much detail was lost to the porcelain itself and how much was lost due to the glaze. How did the preview renders in those glazes compare to the final product? I'm curious how close or far it was.

3. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Your gnome is adorable! I'm with Schmeagle, though, I think the little guy is cuter in paintable FUD than in porcelain. Porcelain is a fun experiment, I even tried it once, but I think it only works well for certain designs without a lot of detail.

Have you thought about printing him in full color sandstone?

4. jakeangell
    jakeangell Member
    Schmeagle - yes your bear turned out great! I think the level of detail I put into the gnome was extreme for the porcelain. This just happened to be a model I was working on that I thought, hey I should just see what porcelain looks like. Thanks for looking!

Ontogenie - Definetly a fun experiment...I should have thought out the subject matter details and size of the piece a little further. I did do a FUD also, he is in the background on the first shot. I will cast a couple and paint them up. Was already thinking of doing that for fun. Thanks! (love your work by the way!)

Ontogenie likes this.
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The amount of visible detail will depend a lot on the chosen glaze. It looks from your images, that Gloss Celadon is more translucent than Gloss Blue (I think I guessed your glazes right?)

upload_2017-5-25_12-13-48.png