Could Not 3d Print A Valid Figure In Sandstone

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 1586148_deleted, May 24, 2017.

1. I am new to shapeways and 3d printing in general. I am trying to print out a product I found online Just to get a grip of shapeways services in particual and 3d prinintg in general, but when i upload the file I get an error on "full color standalone" . Moreover, I can view the model only on the metalic/grey shape even if I change the material. Also, what's the difference between "full color sandstone" and "coated full color sandstone" , and last, is it possible to 3d print a figure with multiple colors using "Strong & Flexible Plastic" or any material other than the sandstone?

Btw, the file I used is for a product on shapeways store and the awesome designer made it downloadable for free.

Here's the file : https://gumroad.com/l/dxQHw

Sorry if i asked stupid questions but this is how we all learn :)

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Full color sandstone is the only option to get multiple colors in a print. The coated full color sandstone is simply full color sandstone with some kind of thick sealer applied to add some protection and glossiness.

Can't say I'm an expert on the various file types that can be uploaded to transfer the color information to the color printers. The trick is to use the proper file type that includes the color mapping information, or properly uploading a 3D file and a color file that maps the color information to the various locations on the print. In the latter case the two files need to be zipped together into one file before upload.

For more information I'd look through the tutorial section https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/?li=bc for additional help, but this issue has also come up a lot here in the forum so searching the forum might be very helpful.

3. Thanks alot , much appreciated. I've searched the website but without success . The file i've uploaded is already in use and we could order the product if we wants , here's the link https://www.shapeways.com/product/7KDCKTQ4R/bloody-samurai-jack-season-5 . Also, Do you have any idea why the changes made would not reflect on the "model view" when I change the material (by "model view" I mean the view on the website page that appears right after uploading a new file )
    thanks again

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    My color work is limited to using Tinkercad (.x3d format) and when uploading color models everything works magically without any worries. I believe other file formats for use with color that Shapeways accepts are .obj and .wrl formats so I suspect the file you are trying to upload is in one of these formats. (and again you might need a separate texture file that defines the colors that are applied to the surface of the model)

The "model view" image on the model edit page will show a full color image if everything works well, otherwise it will show a grayish image. The only place where the appearance of the rendered model reflects the material you have selected is on a product page that is associated with the model.

I don't think I can say much more without leading you down the wrong path. Maybe someone else can chime in that has more mastery of the subject with the type of file format you are trying to use.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    What file type are you uploading ? It could be that you received two files - one with the geometry, and an image file containing the texture, and uploaded only the former (or perhaps only the geometry is available for download, and you are expected to create a texture yourself). Supported file types for color printing are DAE ("Collada"), WRL ("VRML2") and X3D, with WRL and X3D the texture has to be provided as a separate JPG,PNG or GIF file, bundled in a zip file that has no subfolders and no other files. An STL file will only ever contain geometry, OBJ format can contain textures but shapeways extracts only the geometry data from it.

6. Yea, I think that's the issue, it's a STL file only. Thanks alot.

7. t
    thanks alot, I've uploaded the STL file only, my mistake.