Strong Plastic

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SWEDIMENSIONAL, May 23, 2017.

1. i wonder if i created a socket for tool wrench in plastic, can the material do 110nm when i am fastening the bolt with a moment tool?

2. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    That would depend greatly upon the size of fastener being torqued and its associated geometry.

What comes into play are tensile strength of the material, the cross sectional area at the thinnest part, and the bearing area in contact with the tool.

For a regular hex-shaped bolt head:
    • The larger the width across the flats, the less sectional area required for the same torque, be it stubby & chubby like a box-end wrench or long & thin like a socket
    • The larger the contact area, the lower the bearing stress for the same torque - thin locking nuts would provide less area than regular nuts of the same size
    That being said, don't trust any 3D printed parts for engineering applications. If you're torqueing common bolt sizes to their usual design limits, a plastic wrench isn't going to get the job done. If you're under-torqueing to a specific value, you might get away with it. Beware that sintered materials will generally have low tensile strength. Use caution and proceed carefully.

3. But if i create the socket to the bolt and the torque wrench in plastic? will the socket be capable of 110nm? its hex shaped.

4. But if i create the socket to the bolt and the torque wrench in plastic? will the socket be capable of 110nm? its hex shaped. beacue i dont want to damage the bolts.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    You're askiing something akin to: "Can I tow a 5-ton truck with a rope." Without pertinent details, all I can give you is a definite maybe.

6. i just wonder if the plastic materials can hold that kind of force without break

7. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You provided a torque force but no sizing information at all. It is simply impossible to give an opinion without more information.

Without any specifics I'd say it's very likely that a 3D printed socket would crumble apart or bend with that amount of force. It might work better with a snug metal band around the outside of the plastic socket to better contain the stresses. But with all things 3D printed it always helps to have a test piece or pieces printed to try things out yourself. And also never, never, ever use 3D printed parts in any application that could injure someone if the part fails when in use.

SWEDIMENSIONAL likes this.