The Antikythera Mechanism

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by rens, May 18, 2017.

1. rens
    rens Member
    Hi everybody!

I worked my butt off on this, I hope it'll be done soon. : D

On the 115th anniversary of the Antikythera Mechanism discovery I'd like to share this WIP. I'm finishing up on the first complete test version of the Antikythera Mechanism. It will be a full 1:1 scale replica of the original, printed as a fully working one-piece print with the only assembly needed being the pointers, so that the Mechanism can be calibrated to whatever time and date you prefer.

You'll be able to predict current moon phases, eclipses and the original dates for the Olympic games with this design, spanning a bridge between the highest mountains in technology more than 2000 years apart across the chasm of the dark ages, connecting the ancient Greek world with our current times.

It will be printed in Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD), as FXD doesn't have a large enough bounding box. I've found that the listed distance for moving parts for FUD of 0.05 mm is not enough as it will fuse the gears and it needs to be around 0.15-0.16 mm to properly work.

Be amazed, be very amazed. : D

Attached Files:

2. rens
    rens Member
    Here's another view, with the supporting axles. It's fully rigged up and animated, I'll see if I can get a video up as well!

Attached Files:

3. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member