I'm Looking For A Designer

Discussion in 'Miniatures and Scale Models' started by 469862_deleted, Apr 21, 2017.

1. I am looking for a designer. That knows and builds plastic models to help me with my ideas I have

2. GAFSADESIGN
    GAFSADESIGN Well-Known Member
    pm sent

3. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    I'm up for a new challenge. Old school model maker with experience in Sketchup. Lets talk.

4. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    Traditional/digital model maker, and licensed pilot. From your screename, I assume your also into aviation?

5. Yes I am big time. I am looking for some one to help me make parts for plastic model airplanes

6. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    What scale? I used to do a lot of model planes. My dad got me started with my love of airplanes... he was in the Army Air Corps at the tail end of WW2. My avatar is from one of the cartoons he drew for their Air Safety magazine. Corsairs were always a favorite. Even the the ones that were converted to Reno racers.

I also have done a fair amount of parts for scale wooden ship models like cannons & anchors, and now custom slot car bodies.

I assume you want to create custom parts for adding detail? Let me know what you're looking for, and post a few pics if you can. Are these items you just need for your own projects, or something you're looking to make available to other modelers as well?

- Jim

7. So I am a p-51 fan and I want to make parts for scale models like the old Revell 1/32 p-51d make real looking exhaust pipes for that kit. Stuff like that

8. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    Cool idea! P-51 is another favorite of mine. I've built a number of them. Even bought a 1/18th scale "Ultimate Soldier" model of it for one of my boys.

Modeling the parts and ensuring they fit perfectly can be fairly labor intensive. And I'm not sure what the market is for after-market model parts. Probably would have to print them in the Extreme Frosted detail to minimize stair stepping on curved parts. I've had good results with the Acrylate Resin. The stepping is about as fine as a fingerprint. But still too coarse for real detailed parts that would be hard to sand and prime.

As a hobby, making slot car bodies is great fun. And a labor of love. But I think my payout probably works out to be a few dollars an hour if that. Just not a big enough market.

Let me know what you're thinking...

Best,

- Jim

9. So my idea is to make parts for the p-51 then make racing parts for the p-51 And other air planes. Like the f8f bearcat So my idea is make a few small parts and see how it goes

10. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    What do you have for reference on modeling the parts? Blueprints/mechanical drawings? Photos? Depending on the parts, and how/where they attach to the model, there could be some trial and error in refining the printed part to fit - especially if they attach to a compound curved surface that has to fit precisely. Not trying to dissuade you... just know that 3D modeling can be quite time consuming depending on what you're trying to achieve. Sometimes it can go very quickly. If you like, post me a few pics of a part you want to have made, and any reference images, and I can give you a better idea of what it will cost to create.

11. I do have photos. As for drawings I will hunt them down. And me I want to make small parts first like tires prop blades stuff like that then see how it goes

12. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    You'll probably need to print in their Frosted Extreme Detail plastics. Might be a bit pricey. But will give you the smoothest finish. It won't be as smooth as injection molding. You may want to try ordering any existing model in the frosted ultra detail, frosted extreme detail, or Acrylate Resin plastics first to see what you think of the finish before you invest more time and money in making parts. Most will require a bit of sanding and primer/filler to fully smooth out the surface. Which for small detailed parts, might be hard to do.

13. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    Dear renoracer,

We 've already sent our offer for your North American P-51 Mustang scale model parts & miniature accesories. For additional info & directions (if really interested), feel free to contact with us.

Regards,
    Anyuta 3D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  14. Jim I would like to work with you to make the parts and conversions so what I want to do is have the parts made in 3 d print so I can see how they look. Then if they turn out he way I want them I might go in to business

15. highwingpilot
    highwingpilot Member
    Wow! Those parts look amazing. Will they print at 1/32 scale with all the fine detail of wires etc? Frosted detail plastic can handle a minimum wire thickness of 0.6mm.

16. Oh the stuff that you see in the feed here is some one else work not mine. But yes I would like to extange emails with you and see if we can get this going. I saw the body's that you made and I like how they look