Z-poxy Coated Model

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by juhalilja, Mar 28, 2017.

Which one is better?

1. Coated

50.0%
  2. Original

50.0%
  1. juhalilja
    juhalilja Member
    Tried coating my Green Strong and Flexible with Z.poxy. Looks cool and durable although not that authentic anymore.

http://shpws.me/Oj4c

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Very nice! What was your reason for coating it? I've used spray sanding lacquer to seal parts. With a light coat, it fills the pours without causing a glossy finish.

3. juhalilja
    juhalilja Member
    I'm just experimenting with different sealing techniques. For jewelry I thought the super glossy finish might be nice. I'll soon get a huge table lamp, so epoxy is not practical. Maybe I should try the sanding lacquer.

4. Malwen
    Malwen Well-Known Member
    I love the glossy finish, it would look great for jewellery, but do you know whether it is skin-safe once it's hardened?

5. juhalilja
    juhalilja Member
    By my information, cured epoxy resin (the fully hardened combination of the epoxy resin system chemicals) should be non-irritating and non-sensitising. Anyway if the components are not completely mixed, or the proportions are wrong, there might be remains of the hardener way longer than the 24h after the epoxy is applied. so I would allow it to dry for a week or so, and then wipe it with moist towel.

Malwen likes this.