Miniature Diorama Base

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by MrNibbles, Mar 29, 2017.

1. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Nothing super exciting about this diorama base arrival except that I should have had it printed a long time ago. But it was for characters fabbed in the full color plastic process so no rush I guess now that FCP is long gone.

Anyway I designed this base with and without holes. The one with the holes was designed to hold characters having standard sized holes with standard spacings for foot pegs. II was hoping to make small dioramas for individual characters although the base with the holes can hold two characters - one in the center and one closer to the rim. The other holes are for mounting objects like plants, trees, magic crystals, whatever. The base is designed to fit into a round clear acrylic container with a lid I picked up at the Container Store. Not 100% sure but I think it's this one:
    [​IMG]

The FCP prints seem to have cured very nicely. No more stinkage and they seem more rigid than when they first arrived. That's good because their spindly legs could conceivably cause them to lean over with time and gravity. But I think things are stiff enough to avoid that problem. It's a shame the FCP didn't have better color and pattern definition. It was soooo close to being super-dooper awesome.

PB1.jpg PB2.jpg PB3.jpg BMO1.jpg BMO2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    yay these are wonderful! do they look nice in the containers you bought?

3. MrNibbles
    Good question! I was planning on gluing the dioramas together before lowering them into the containers. Otherwise I will need to find some large tweezers or tongs to add things to the bases after they are in there. At the rate I'm going it will be a few more months before I'm ready for that. :D

I regret not having my Land of Ooo decorative accessories printed in FCP. I have a test print in wsf but I know my painting techniques would probably mess then up unless I work slooooowly.

LandofOoodecorations.jpg

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    No bacon pancakes scene?

5. MrNibbles
    No bacon pancake diorama until there's a good full color plastic replacement process!

6. MrNibbles
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017