Save The Selected "printing Orientation"

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by UninterRC, Oct 18, 2016.

1. UninterRC
    UninterRC Member
    I would like to be able to see what was the last printing orientation of a part that i have chosen,

Currently when you choose to select orientation of a part the one selected is reset therefore if you cant remember what you have chosen the last time.

Regards

UninterRC

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The selected orientation shouldn't reset? When are you seeing it reset?

3. Dream3d
    Dream3d Member
    Hello,

It resets every time i open the orientation window at least on the preview because it shows default orientation regardless of what you set before.
    If you i.e. set the orientation and click save it shows "orientation saved successfully" if you click the "set 3d printing orientation" button again it will show blank view and you are not able to see or change anything there. If you refresh the model page and click the orientation button again, it will show you default orientation.
    I received my model printed in default orientation, which is not big deal cos it turned great. However, i would like to have this option for future designs.

Thanks and sorry for bringing up an old topic

4. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    I found a way around the problem quite by accident. It seems to work.

1. remove all the materials you have selected

2. select the orientation you want

3. click "generate renders". Once the correct render has been fully generated, then

4. add your materials and set your prices

5. save your changes

The correct render has remained for me when I do this.

Hope this works for you, too.

5. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Steve, you're referring to the renders, i think the OP is referring to the printing orientation (strong & flexible on the edit model page)?

UninterRC, the orientation tool does not reset!
    Once you've selected the orientation and click on save, our internal tools know which way to print your model based on your request.

However you are right that the view of the tool resets itself :( rest assured that we did save the orientation, it's just the view that reverts back to the default position.

6. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    Ah, I stand corrected. My apologies.

7. genef
    genef Member
    There should be visual confirmation that shows how the 3D print orientation is set. Maybe add an arrow on the model view window labeled as the "P" vector, pointing from first layer to final layer. It would be helpful if the 3D print orientation tool could be changed to always open displaying the last saved orientation, not a default orientation.