New And Ignorant :op

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by mtndewd, Mar 26, 2017.

1. mtndewd
    mtndewd Member
    I am wanting to replace molded text on a 1/25 scale truck body and have no idea where to begin. Is it even possible to replicate the same fonts? I want to remove the "LONE" and replace with "SUPER". Adding the fifth letter will probably create issues with available space, therefore, may need to replicate the entire badge so it can be repositioned. Any ideas or direction someone can lend?

2014-12-07 17.21.24.jpg

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Photoetched metal or maybe laser cut card or plastic.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You could use your image, and some image editing software, to create a 2D to 3D piece. At that scale, you'd probably want to use FUD or FXD.

4. mtndewd
    mtndewd Member
    Thank you for the advice! A fellow modeler drew the image I was needing and I have converted it to SVG as well as run it through Blender. Is an SVG file what I need to print the object or do I need to do further work?

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    No, you'll need something like an STL file, which is a type of 3D file typically used with 3D printing. It's not easy to do with Shapeways 2D to 3D creator because you need it to be an exact scale so that the letters are exactly the same size as on your model.

What you can do is get free software called Fusion 360 and watch this video and see if you can do it yourself. By the way, the download link says free trial, but it's actually free to use indefinitely if you're using it for personal use or you can use it for free for business use indefinitely if your business is not making more than 100K USD per year.

Another thing you can do is pay someone already proficient in 3D modeling to make the SVG into what you want for 3D printing. To do that, post your request along with your SVG here and you'll get some quotes.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You can extrude the SVG in blender. I've done it a few times, but I always have to regoogle how to do it.