Barbie Sized Figure

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 1514364_deleted, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hi, i need to know what material i would be able to choose to print a 12 inch high figure that would be smooth and polished with no rough surfaces.
    Also i need to know does shapeways print in 1/6 human figure size. Please help me out with a height dimension that works with the printer.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Please see the properties and requirements of the various available materials under https://www.shapeways.com/materials - the "strong&flexible" nylon is probably best but will still require painting, and at 12" it may be quite expensive. The maximum dimension in this materials is about 20",
    see the Miniatures/Figurines section of the "marketplace" to get an idea of quality and cost (though the prices you see there will usually include individually set designer markups in addition to the printing cost)

3. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    @ mkroeker, if you noticed, Aaronjagger17 asked for "smooth and polished with no rough surfaces" material, so you must have a sense of humor if you recommend the strong&flexible nylon as the "probably best" material. You are an experienced member here, so I am sure that you already know that strong&flexible nylon is not smooth, is not so-polished (even if ordered as "polished") and does have rough surface.

As for "smoothness" and "polish", both "Frosted Detail" (FUD & FXD) materials are the best materials available (so far) for Shapeways 3D printing and no other grainy (like the strong & flexible nylon) material with visible printing layers is able to compare. Since pictures speak louden than words...

Frosted Detail plastic

[​IMG]

Strong & Flexible nylon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    As an experienced member I think you will agree that FUD/FXD is not perfectly smooth everywhere either, and I believe 12in is going to be quite a challenge...

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Everyone has their own opinions, you can't be wrong for an opinion. While FUD and FXD may be smoother, the max dimension for FUD is 284mm or 11.18 inches. So 12 inches wouldn't fit. And FXD has a smaller max dimensions.

6. Anyuta3D
    Anyuta3D Well-Known Member
    @ Michael, it would fit by producing the figure in parts (torso, legs, head, hands etc) and then assemble them.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017