Q: Cutting A Sculpture Into Parts

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 438930_deleted, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Hello,

I'm looking for some help in cutting my sculpture for printing. I was almost successful in getting it to print in one piece but some areas were too thin. So I decided to cut the model and print it a little larger.

My question is, when I have finished cutting and adding keys to the pieces, how do a submit my files? As one OBJ or should I export each piece as a separate OBJ? Or is the STL format better for this?

I marked in red where I plan on cutting my figure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! --Roger

RogerAdams_mermaidfinal3.jpg

shawn_halayka likes this.
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    A bit of the answer is dependent upon what material you wish to print the model in.
    For WSF, you'll have extra charges ($1.50) for the separate parts.
    Many of the other materials will have the setup fee charged if you upload separate files - use a single file.
    Porcelain.. isn't going to work well.. the glaze has a significant thickness that will prevent the edges come together perfectly.

438930_deleted likes this.
  3. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Did you get this resolved, you can save money by making it hollow, cutting it into parts and spruing the parts together.

4. Thanks Stonysmith and Dotsan. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet. But I plan to cut and re-sculpt the areas to have it transition properly.

roger

5. Hi, I wanted to update this topic to help anyone. I worked on a gift for a friend, a print of her favourite Overwatch character, Tracer. After modeling, I cut the model into three pieces, keyed and hollowed and arranged it in the following photo. Then exported it as a single OBJ file. I assumed the Shapeways staff arranged it for the best print. I chose Polished Plastic and the model is about 9 inches tall.

tracerexport.JPG
    IMG_20170318_061710~2.jpg