Too Many Clicks To Get To View Model

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by lensman, Aug 21, 2016.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I know I have mentioned this in the forums before, but I can't find it anywhere...

Shapeways, please make it easier for users to get to the View Model page from the My Model page. Right now it takes a minimum of FOUR CLICKS just to get to be able to view the model!

My Models page
    1) Click on Edit.
    2) Click on "Edit Product with this Model" to pull drop down choice.
    3) Click on model name
    4) Click on View Model

This is a ludicrously long. We should be able to take one click to get from My Models to the actual model view.

StephanFriedrich likes this.
  2. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Agreed. The options should be Edit | View | 3D Tools | Delete. It should not require the circumnavigation needed to get to an item's product page. Going via Make>MyModels>Inventory is equally painful despite the filtering options.
    It's likely been discussed by the UX team many times before, but is there a way of combining My Models and Inventory into a single interface? In my mind, there should be a Customer View, and a Designer View of the shop, where Designer View allows access to the usual editing tools and inventory management (and switching to Customer View to see what shoppers see). An alphabetised tag list would be good also...
    We don't demand much, we Shapeways shop owners. ;)

Steven

3. lensman
    Also agreed. Good idea.

4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Yeah agreed... thanks for bringing up guys.

Are both of you using the variants options as well or is that not relevant to your general workflow

5. lensman
    I don't use the variants, no.

6. HenrikRydberg
    HenrikRydberg Shapeways Employee Design Team
    I agree that My Models and Inventory (My Products) management could be much easier and "closer" to each other. We've talked about this to lengths with the team and have some solid plans to improve both of them.

Here's few tips to help your workflow today:

It's a small link, but a nifty way to jump straight to your products at Shapeways.com when you're logged in:
    1.png

Also, where ever you are in Shapeways, you can get to your products throug Make > My Shop > Inventory
    2.png

To view your product pages, simply click the images
    3.png

7. lensman
    Thanks, Henrik. Not ideal, but a bit better than the other way.

8. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Agreed. Raised that topic after introduction and for me it's a failure that there are 2 links on the mymodels page to edit and none to view.
    Why not change the image link to https://www.shapeways.com/products/<model-number>.
    It's a 15 seconds correction !!!!
    Currently I'm not using variants, which causes a lot of additional clicking around in my workflow.
    Woody64

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  9. woody64
    Since it blocked me several times this week.

There are THREE links pointing to edit on the my models page. That can't be intended.

PLEASE FIX that so that one is oncemore pointing to View as it was before.

10. lensman
    How about this: On the My Models page when a user clicks on the IMAGE of the model it takes you to the View Model page, but if you click on Edit, well... you get taken to the Edit page! That, surely, is a very simple coding change?!

11. woody64

Exactly, that's one of the links. Still a Friday gone without a fix. It would be so simple ...

12. lensman
    Nice changes to the UI recently but STILL this issue has not been addressed!!!!

Users need a way when viewing their "My Models" page to jump with one click to View Model page. I reiterate what I wrote above - taking FOUR clicks to get from one to the other is purely ridiculous and it is driving me insane when doing multiple model edits (choosing materials, pricing, etc. on many models).

The solution offered by @HenrykRydberg above is not really what I want - to go to My Shop and then Inventory - because I am editing the model's various options not simply looking at the models.

PLEASE get this worked on.

13. woody64
    Based on another example I have written a greasemonky script to reach a product with one click. ( currently uses the first link to a product if a model is attached to more then one). Its mainly a concept and not completely finished .. (search for greasemonkey in the forum)

14. lensman
    Thanks Woody. I'll take a look. I'm assuming this is something we as a user can run?

15. woody64
  16. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Dittoes, Shapeways. This is still wrong, as everyone has said since the first day it rolled out, and you still need to fix it.

17. woody64
    Some minutes ago I could also test it successfully for Chrome / Tampermonkey. Please beware the first enter of a new side causes a lot of background activity and also some time (the JQuery script needs to load the model link and search for the product link). But there's a dictionary built up which stores the Model/Product relation, so if a product was found the link on the mymodel page could be replaced very quickly. It seems also to work now for various searches.

This missing link has caused a lot of clicks during the last month.

I think SW does not correct it since there's the possibility that there is a 1:N relaltion between model and products. Currently I also ignore that in my script since it works for 90% of my models. But also that could be solved, with some additional coding ...

18. loosetony
    loosetony Member
    @lensman From what you're describing it sounds like you want to edit Product details and not Model details? We have not done a good job making that distinction clear as to when a model becomes a product. This was also made a bit more complex due to the addition of variants. We are working on that.

It should technically only be 2 clicks to get to the details you're mentioning.
    From the left nav:
    - Click "PRODUCTS"
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 1.49.59 PM.png

- That takes you to your Shop Inventory
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 1.50.45 PM.png

- Find the product you want to edit and click "Edit" which will open the product details.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 1.49.13 PM.png

You can also click the image or title (maybe control click to open new tab) which will open the product page (what customers see).
    Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 1.56.34 PM.png

Let me know if this helps at all.

19. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    On the bright side they seem to have expanded the number of characters visible in the model and product page pull down name menus when you need to go from one to the other.