Refinishing Matt Black Steel

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by cadsmith, Feb 11, 2017.

1. cadsmith
    cadsmith Member
    There are areas of pieces in matt black steel that i would like to smooth out and reapply the black, is this a simple process or is it plating etc?

2. cadsmith
    cadsmith Member
    Anyone?

3. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    I don't know how SW blackens the steel prints. You should be able to darken it considerably using a torch. As the black is just oxidation any polishing or handling will wear it off over time. a layer or two of spray lacquer will keep it from wearing off and give it a good shiny look.

4. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Generally refinishing steel isn't a trivial process. Most likely you won't be able to create a black at home, or in a small shop, that matches the factory finish, so if you want a uniform finish you would need to do the entire part rather than only some areas.

A hot solution of ammonium sulfide blackens the metal pretty effectively, but it needs bare metal to work, i.e. you must remove the previous finish completely. If you try this, beware the smell.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Hydrogen sulfide can kill quickly, and it will kill your sense of smell first. Ensure good ventilation, use small amounts, do not work alone...