Pilot Launch: Hooks And Backings For Earrings In Metals

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Magic's concern is valid: Bronze, brass, even nickel steel (if it was planned) may raise allergic issues...so far I've added the hooks myself manually, now I can upload the earring versions of my OVO design...and I always used silver hooks like the left foto. I would be great to also have the precious metal options!

Season's Greetings to all Shapes Of Shapewayers! LOL!

2. tinyrightbrain
    tinyrightbrain Well-Known Member
    I like this idea BUT I have a couple of issues.
    The main issue is that a few of my earrings are designed to work with jump rings in addition to ear wires.
    This is for two reasons: (1) One of the designs does not have a hanging ring because I attach a jump ring a certain way and then attach the hook and there is no way to just attach a hook.
    (2) A few designs are done the such that the hanging ring is oriented at one angle, the jump ring rotates the earring by 90 degrees, then the hook rotates it back. If it is done with just a hook, the earring is "facing the wrong way" to the viewer
    because it is 90 degrees off.
    What should I do? Should I submit new design updates so that these earrings can accommodate your hooks-only design? That means that when I sell them I must use only hooks, which I don't like to do because it's easier to handle the earrings with jump rings added and the designs might also dangle better with jump rings.

3. berubewood
    berubewood Active Member
    I also use jump rings for my designs. Also, with some designs, there are multiple places where the hooks could be attached. Plus it will look different depending on what direction it's facing. This is true of my soon-to-be-revealed 12pi earrings (sneak peak below). Another concern I have is that the customer might receive two different earrings because whoever put the hooks on didn't pay enough attention to at least make them both the same.

Perhaps you can give us the option, when we select the earring category, of whether we want the hooks to come attached, and whether or not they should include jump rings.

In addition, I'm also concerned about the hooks not being hypoallergenic. Otherwise, I think it's great that you are offering this option!

DSCN0209.JPG

4. nataliak
    nataliak Member
    Woo hoo! Been waiting for this one ;)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO US!

Quick feedback:
    The dimensions of the loop part of the hook appears to be almost the same size as the minimum wire thickness for metals (1mm) so that seems like a design limitation. (berubewood picture above shows this)

You want that loop to swing freely and the attachment point is going to have to be thin if that is the case.

That's why people usually use jump-rings to attach the earring to the hook - gives you the movement, orientation and swing all in one.

Can you please post the exact dimensions on the hook so we can check? Thanks!

5. Tammi
    Tammi Member
    Oh yeah! I dream about it! It's really good news!

6. Xover0
    Xover0 Member
    This is fantastic! We've just added a pair of earrings to our Shapeways shop. Just in time for Valentine'd Day. I hope this pilot is a success!

3d-printed-earrings-cubicoid-long-sterling-2.1.jpg 3d-printed-earrings-cubicoid-long-sterling.jpg

sasha6 likes this.
  7. DiegoAramburu
    DiegoAramburu Member
    Great idea!

8. RMSdesigns
    RMSdesigns Member
    Nice addition!

9. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Is this program currently active? I no longer see a notice that wires/backs are included and I did not receive the earring backs when I ordered a pair of post earrings.

nataliak and mdavisstudios like this.
  10. mdavisstudios
    mdavisstudios Member
    I too would like to know if this pilot program is still currently going on - does anyone know?

thank you!

MistrunnerDesigns likes this.
  11. nataliak
    nataliak Member
    Ordered earrings, did not get hooks - is there a check box we have to select?

Digitallake likes this.
  12. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I rather suspect this never went live as the only feedback seen here were various concerns about wire diameter and allergenic potential, no mention of anyone ever receiving them and commenting on their usability.

13. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Yes, to actually do this designers would need to have CAD models of the hooks, and a way to indicate in our models where the hooks should be attached.

Digitallake and mdavisstudios like this.
  14. mdavisstudios
    mdavisstudios Member
    I have emailed this comment to Shapeways support but was very surprised (and to be honest disappointed) to receive my own earrings with posts attached recently. These earrings are not designed to be stud earrings, I had no expectation that these would be added, and didn't think this pilot program was even live right now. Has anyone else recently received earrings with dangles or posts added?

I wholeheartedly second Bathsheba's comment above that you need to let makers indicate the nature of the hook / stud and where it will need to go. Otherwise you risk meddling with our designs in ways that were never intended.

Thank you for your attention to this.

My earrings as listed vs. how they just arrived photo attached.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.19.34 PM.png

15. tinyrightbrain
    tinyrightbrain Well-Known Member
    Hi
    Oddly enough, I recently ordered some earrings and did not get any hooks attached and was wondering why not. But actually, I'm with you and would like Shapeways to provide a checkbox so that the designers can select whether or not they want hooks or studs attached. With some of my designs, I don't want just a hook because they are designed to hang in a specific orientation with jump rings and with others adding the hook would be a nice touch

Betty

Digitallake likes this.
  16. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    @mdavisstudios What's odd is that it appears someone actually modified the design to add the posts. Am I interpreting the pictures correctly?

A customer contacted me this week to say earring backs were not included in her order so it seems the process is inconsistent.

17. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Looks almost as if they picked a pair of your lapel pins by mistake - possibly from unrelated orders even ?

18. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    wtf Shapeways

Digitallake likes this.
  19. EvieL
    EvieL Well-Known Member
    Oh, I thought the pilot meant that the stud backings would be attached, but it seemed that the pin part is added on as well??? I didn't receive any backing when I ordered a stud of mine recently. I think I am quite confused as to what the pilot is suppose to do ...

But I agree with most here that we should have some sort of indication as to where and what to be added.

20. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    On one hand Saturday was April Fools' Day.

On the other hand anything is possible, I guess.