New Shop Page!

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Jan 26, 2017.

1. MichaelAtOz
    MichaelAtOz Well-Known Member
    No, not just your PC, I got bananas to
    nibbles.JPG

2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    It was an animated banana which would have been a great profile image, but sadly animated gifs don't work with profile images. Only the new banner allows animated gifs.

banana.gif

3. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    1) I have immediately removed the shop banner, since it was covering the whole page
    2) When selecting a sort option or a section the page is once more set to the top
    3) When you are selecting a sort option and want to switch back to default that's not possible. If I'm choosing "Sort by" I'm landing in a product ordering I don't know
    4) For me it's completely not understandable why the search functionality can't be reused within a shop. It should be the same as in a normal search but on the items of a shop only.

Once more a change which makes me wonder if a buyers or shop owners angle on the change was even discussed.

Woody64

Clicked a little bit around by changing the sections but no chance to come back to the default view (managed via inventory). Items are in a to me unknown ordering scheme afterwards.

PLEASE take a look on that and if I'm right then correct it IMMEDEATLY. Normally I would announce news on my FB shop side, but not in this state ...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. MichaelAtOz
    I agree. 'Default' should be on the drop-down list.

5. MrNibbles
    In all fairness they weren't originally planning on having the sort feature with the new shop page format. The question is do customers know what "default" sorting means? Most probably don't have a clue that it is the same as the inventory sort order. The customer facing sort might need to be called something different like "recommended" or "preferred."

6. MichaelAtOz
    Ahhh, interesting...
    Can anyone recommend good gif animation software for Windows? (pref free or cheap)

7. MichaelAtOz
    +1

8. MrNibbles
    I use an online service like ezgif.com. Free. You can create and modify gifs there for free without any watermarks. You can also do things like convert white or black colors in an image to a transparency and do a bunch of other special effects.

It strikes me that if you had a banner that cycled through a few frames highlighting products in a store you could get away with a banner much smaller and with less height than the new mega-sized banner standard. 200 vertical pixels should be more than enough but it would only make sense if the shop page display auto adjusted for smaller banner images (as in eliminating wasted white space). Here's a quick attempt at cycling through some product images having 200 vertical pixels and it's only around 200kb in size. You could easily include another set of images that flanked the central profile image or used the central area for a store logo.

ezgif-1-e05808bd4b.gif

9. You seem to have contradictory information about the size of the new shop banners. In some notes you say it will be 1600 x 350 pixels, but on the page where a new one can be uploaded, it says 960 x 125. Please clarify. Thanks.

10. MrNibbles
    You would need to opt in to the new size format on the settings page to upload the larger banner size. However the system change is scheduled for tonight or tomorrow at which point the larger banner will be the only option for everyone - assuming everything is still on schedule.

11. MrNibbles
    It's almost time. Charge the server supply rails to 1.21 Gigawatts!

[​IMG]

12. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    I feel like on 22. December 2012 - yet another doomsday that didn't come :(

13. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey guys,

This will launch today! Sorry for not communicating this delay.

14. so I loose my grid style page layout?...why? the new style is to difficult to work through I don't think I'll be going through the products pages as often to find potential items and parts

15. MrNibbles
    I'm gonna say that having a product (inventory) view with max 4 columns and a shop view with max 3 columns makes it difficult to use the product (inventory) view to preview what the shop will look like. Last time when you made the change from 3 columns to 4 columns you changed both. Now that you are changing back to 3 columns in the shop view you neglected to change the inventory view (so far).

This might seem like a trivial thing but over time everyone comes up with different ways of prepping their inventory and shops, or staging items before making them public. And then when things like this get changed it throws a wrench in that process often with no good ways to work around the changes. It creates a lot of needless hassle for shop management unless you have just a few items in a store.

104516_deleted likes this.
  16. 104516_deleted
    104516_deleted Well-Known Member
    I've seen this coming by a few times - shared it with our team. Personally agree that you'd want front and end look similar so you know how things are organized.

17. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
  18. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Thanks fx.
    I've reported it right away :)

19. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    new site interface is very terrible and its painfully slow...

20. MrNibbles
    I thought I figured out a way around the problem by narrowing the inventory window to get 3 columns. But by golly I can't seem to get the window to show 3 full columns of product. It's unpossible!