Subtractive Cnc Services Similar To Shapeways?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MapBliss, Dec 1, 2016.

1. MapBliss
    MapBliss Active Member
    Hope this isn't a forbidden topic, but I'm looking for a similar service to shapeways, but for subtractive or CNC routing models?

Just getting into using shapeways for 3d printing and I see a lot of potential for smaller projects, but I also some larger projects I'd like to create models for that would be too large or too costly for shapeways. Are there any similar cnc services you know of online?

Thanks,
    David M

2. Sparkshot
    Sparkshot Well-Known Member
    I'm going to back the question up in the hope some may answer too.

My interest in milling is for an alternative to chassis where extra rigidity and dimensional accuracy is desired. Trid 3DPing some metal components but other than coupling rods they didn't work out.. 3DP chassis are working fine yet I have ideas and trials I need to perform that 3DP currently doesn't do.

3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Just google CNC milling, if your parts are very small try MICRO milling or JEWELERS mill. I have had some waxes cnc milled in the past but 'my guy' is now out of the trade.

4. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
  5. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    I think there's a guy in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada -- http://www.smantec.ca -- who does this kind of thing. Here's an image of the English River Dene Nation logo on a cribbage board made by subtracting aluminum... it still weighs a lot. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  6. MapBliss
    MapBliss Active Member
    Thanks for the replies all. I probably should have been more detailed in my question. I've worked with local CNC miller's before, and of course looked around online. There are MANY services out there, but most (all?) are basically brick and mortar shops with basic websites, some have "online" services, but nothing like Shapeways.

So my questions is more one of your experiences online CNC shops. Has anyone found a similar online CNC service to what Shapeways offers, which puts the designer in control of the process to a much greater degree.

7. The closest I've yet found is anchorlabs.io

If anyone finds anything closer than that, please let me know.

8. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    emachineshop

9. crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Well-Known Member
    yes there are some places like Sw but they also do printing too so I cant say their name on here.