Percentage markup ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by virez, Mar 4, 2015.

Markup Percentage Would Be Awesome

1. Definately!

2. I don't think so

3. I like it the way it is..

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. virez
    virez Member
    Hi Shapefolks,

I must say the online tools have really evolved beyond my expectations, well done !!

The only thing stat is still a bit tedious is defining the markup for your models.
    It's a very good thing that there are categories now and that you can set a global amount per cat. but i still find myself changing everything manually to get the markup right and evenly spread.

One thing that would save gargantuan amounts of time and frustration for everyone is the introduction of a markup by percentage per category or globally.

This would mean that once you set a global % of markup (for instance 25% per sale) your markup would be the same for every model you upload unless you change it manually to let's say 10% for a certain material much like you can do now.

This would also imply that when material prices change your markup changes with that dynamically !
    In most cases this would mean you never have to change any prices ever again not even when you upload a new product, all markups are added automatically for the activated materials (but are still changeable if you want).

That would rock !
    What do you think ?

Cheers, Kurt

2. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    I'd also like to see the option for a fixed model mark-up value that applies across material classes or all materials in one fell swoop. From my perspective I don't care what material a customer chooses for model fabrication. So for example I'm perfectly happy setting a flat mark-up of $1.04 for any material offered. Gold, plastic, brass, I don't care. I'm not handling raw materials or subject to changing commodity prices so it's none of my concern. After the 3.5% fee for returning mark-ups that gives me $1. Nice and simple.

And in a fixed mark-up case I don't want my mark-up to change with a change in material costs, or for that matter when replacing a model with an upgrade that is slightly larger or smaller, since any slight price change also affects the mark-up. However if I were able to simply reapply the fixed mark-up to all materials in an updated model I would be much happier. Readjusting the mark-up in every single material offered and having to do the math in my head to calculate the final price for every freaking final price entry box makes me seethe every time I am forced to do it. The reason we invented computers was to reduce errors and eliminate the need for such mind-numbing drudgery.

AEModels likes this.
  3. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    Hi folks!

It would be solved by very easy function! I suggest to add "configurator" of prices by default on each material/finishes. Into it you will set TWO revenue as sum of %% + fixed revenue for each material. Now I am created it by Excel table (see attached screenshot), but Shapeways would create similar tool himself. Test part of table you can see below.
    pricesExcelShapeways.jpg

Then I downloading csv, creating prices by VLOOKUP function and specific formula (similar https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th= 21832&goto=103888#msg_103888) and uploading csv to Shapeways. It would be beautiful, if Shapeways will create similar configurator online.

Sincerely.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Have you tried the Pricing CSV Wizard?
    https://www.shapeways.com/shop/pricing-csv

I realize that some people are not all that adept at Excel or Google Docs, but if you are comfortable with those tools, the CSV process allows you to set all your prices in one step.

Note: I too advocate for flat rate or percentage by material.. I'm just saying that the CSV process is useful until that is developed.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Model_Monkey likes this.
  5. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Hopefully there will be more built-in mark-up flexibility when I return from my 2015 walkabout!

6. virez
    virez Member
    Hi Stony, thanks for the input, i had no idea that was possible.
    I might try it but i still hope the percentage markup will be added in a future update.

Cheers, Kurt

7. corgiepic
    corgiepic Member
    I would love it if a fixed markup percentage would be added... much easier to work with.
    ALSO mainly because I don't know how to edit markup in the current method!!! Please help!!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  8. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    A percentual margin for the sake of easy shop management has not much to do with selling products.
    Please do not consider this. It is not clever.

Your prices should reflect the value of your product, not a percentage on top of the material and processing costs. It simply doesn't work like that.

Meanwhile we have quite some experience in pricing products, and since we have a large shop, we have levelled the prices in such way that similar products have the same price. As a result some of our products have very smal margins (< 5%), whereas other products have a very high margins (> 100%). If you're intending to make some money with your shop, you should consider individual price setting based on your customer's expectation and/or what price settings typically are in your kind of business.

Regards,
    Maurice & Joris

Model_Monkey likes this.
  9. corgiepic
    corgiepic Member
    Thank you for the advice, Maurice & Joris. I just wish that there could be a percentage margin / markup for each certain product, not for my entire inventory. I also figured out how to use the current method, so never mind my earlier post.
    Many thanks!

10. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Percentage may not make sense for many products but a constant mark-up does. It's not so different than the standard part handling fee that Shapeways charges for some materials. A fixed mark-up for a product could cover all costs to the designer relating to creating the model and paying for revisions and prototypes. It's a mystery why a fixed mark-up makes sense for Shapeways but isn't very easy to implement by shop owners.

11. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member