Trial And Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by juhalilja, Feb 23, 2017.

I tend to order my first prototype printouts

1. carefully finished

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. quick and dirty

100.0%
  1. juhalilja
    juhalilja Member
    Hi

I want to know if I'm the only one, but I probably ordered more failed designs than successful ones. Nothing wrong with that. That's my process. Although it is more expensive than spending the extra time in modelling, I really need the tangible prototype in my hands to be able to understand the dimensions etc.

In beginning understanding the scale caused huge issues to me. Having 0.1 mm clearances on screen seemed ok - and it was not until I got the product (and you needed to use "print anyway"), when I realized that I went too crazy on the details.

So.. is there anyone else there who quickly needs to get the design printed no matter how unfinished it is? Then after 10 rejected orders you finally get the first version in your hands, and can start finalizing the model.

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Many many parts, one rejection. That said I have dropped a bit of cash making interlocking parts in printed steel and when I finally got perfect parts I had come to realize they could vary enough from batch to batch (heating and cooling, various sprue locations, etc) that I would not even offer them. Another rule I imposed on myself is never to order a part 'finished' after midnight. It really comes down to understanding the various specifications and learning to use the mesh checking tools. This will relieve the production department and help you understand how to get it right yourself.

3. 3Dcarving
    3Dcarving Well-Known Member
    Hello,
    Rule # 1 use software that allows you to master correctly and mathematically the actual dimensions, (like open scad for example)
    Rule # 2 with the shapeways verification tools "wall tickness" get a fully green rendering!

With a little verification one obtains for sure a correct result!
    Cordially
    voir résultat :3cw by jR