Using Sketch Up

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 692949_deleted, Feb 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Designed something in sketch up and wanted to get it printed but its telling me the file type is not accepted. What do i need to do?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    What kind of file are you trying to upload ? The native .skp will not work, you need to export to STL (or OBJ,DAE,WRL)

3. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    Check out the extension warehouse inside Sketchup. Download the free STL and OBJ import/ Export Ruby scripts.

4. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    The default export format for Sketchup is .DAE (Collada) which is compatible with Shapeways. You don't need to worry about scaling - the dimensions of your model in Sketchup will be the dimensions of the 3D printed model.

Steven

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  5. Josenarvaez
    Josenarvaez Member
    you should export to .DAE format it works very well with shapeways and don't resize your model. is what i use the most and it works perfectly.

6. My google 3d warehouse export in collada format is failing because it doesn't have the texture file, ideas?

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    DAE can have the texture embedded or as a separate image with just the filename written in the DAE. In the latter case,
    just as with VRML/X3D you need to upload a zip archive containing just the two files, and you must check that the name of the texture file as written in the DAE does not contain any folder names or drive letters.

1791197_deleted likes this.
  8. I had this exact same issue over the weekend - like Jose mentioned I had to export in DAE. Thanks for the help!