Which Design Area/designer To Choose For Project?

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 242584_deleted, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Hi.

What product area, type of designer would I be looking for to create 3D printing files for "parts and/or pipes" etc..?

2. accushape3d
    accushape3d Well-Known Member
    Pm sent

3. Thanks for the reply. I do not have SolidWorks, so as a client/customer would this be a problem?

I have also been learning Blender. Any thoughts on this?

4. accushape3d
    A good mechanical designer can f
    it would not. I can provide you with a PDF or jpg image or .stl do you to use for printing. I usually send PDF files for approval, once approved, I would invoice and once invoice is paid, I would then send the .stl file to you for uploading to print.

5. philnolan3d
    philnolan3d Well-Known Member
    You could look towards me. I've been doing 3D professionally for about 14 years, specializing in hard surface modeling. See my work at http://philnolan3d.com
    Contact at phil (at) philnolan3d.com

6. Cheers, who owns the original created source file?

7. accushape3d
    I'm glad to help. Send me a sketch and I'd be happy to provide you with a quote.
    Blender is good for non uniform surface creation. Solidworks is handy for mostly solid modeling of basic surfaces. Think construction. Blender would be better for shapes that you would mold out of clay.

8. accushape3d
    You would of course!

9. I'm unsure of the differences here (see bold above)? Re. the mention of clay, ideally I actually wanted the product to be made from terracotta. However the internal dimensions of the pipes cannot change, meaning that due to clay shrinking, the internal pipe would narrow. Why would blender be a better option here?

10. To give you some idea, I'm wanting to "re-create" something similar to this. Between 10 to 20 inches long and 3 - 6 inches in width.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 1.08.02 pm.png

11. philnolan3d
    philnolan3d Well-Known Member
    I believe what was meant by "clay" is the virtual variety for sculpting in 3D. I do all of my sculpting in 3D-Coat personally, then the model can be printed in any material Shapeways or another company offers.

Edit:
    Pipes like the one pictured are very simple to model in just about any 3D program.

12. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Using the biggest dimensions, 20" x 6", that object is going to cost about $350 to print in WSF (nylon), and $4,000 in steel.
    It's too big for the other materials.

Going with 10" x 3" - it's going to cost $175 in WSF and $1,500 in steel. Still to big for most of the other materials.

Are those prices within your budget?

242584_deleted likes this.
  13. Thanks for that. It's given me a good indication of cost. Is this object too large for porcelain also?

14. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Each of the material pages lists a maximum bounding box. For porcelain, it's 125 × 125 × 200 mm or just under 5"x5"x8"

15. Thanks Stony. This has given me greater insight to 3D printing with Shapeways.

16. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    It's great practice to first attune at a price point for the print - I lose at least 25% of clients when they see the price tag for 3D printing.
    So, if you want to continue with 3D printing, I'm also happy to step in with you.
    We can easily create many variations of these pipes as well.
    -Ralph

17. monk3947
    monk3947 Well-Known Member
    Hi,
    I see the picture.usually it is best to create it by solidworks,blender is not the best software to create this model.of course blender is ok ,but not the best software for this model. I can create this model,and can create lattice structure on the model to reduce the printing cost if you need. thank you :)