Blender - Placement Of Model

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 1375499_deleted, Feb 20, 2017.

1. In a few days I am going to upload my first file on Shapeways. I have a very basic question. I understand that Shapeways has Y-up axis orientation. That's not a problem. But regarding X and Z axes I have 2 question. I am not sure how Shapeways printers take in the .stl files-

1. Does the model have to sit on X-Z plane? I.e. must the lowest Y coordinate be zero?
    2. Does the model has to be centered along X and Z axes as much as possible? Let's say I have a cylindrical object whose axes coincides with Y axis. Now should the X and Z coordinates of the lowest point on the central axis of the cylindrical object be zero? This is important from maximum size limitation point of view. For a large model will not centering the model make it go outside the printer area?
    I understand that all models are manually checked at Shapeways. But I don't want to take any risk.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Placement and orientation will be chosen by shapeways - your model will typically be just one of many sitting somewhere inside the chamber of a big industrial printer.

3. Thanks mkroeker. I dint know that. May be the instruction to orient along y-axis was just for the rendered image created by shapeways.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Yes (although there is now an option on the model page to reorient the renders - some day it may even work).
    That said, it has become possible recently to specify a certain print orientation for parts made in the "strong&flexible" nylon material, but this is not something one would try without a fairly intimate understanding of the EOS printers and the process they use.

Offbeat_Island likes this.