Strong & Flexible Material Pricing Calculation???

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by RickSteele, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RickSteele
    RickSteele Member
    I'm trying to understand how pricing for White Strong & Flexible is calculated.

I read here on the Shapeways website under materials that White Strong & Flexible material is $1.50 per part, plus $0.28/material cm3, plus $0.21/machine cm3. Therefor, the total cost per cm3 would be $0.49 plus a piece price per part of $1.50.

I currently have several parts uploaded for quotes, one of my parts is 44.26 cm3 and the cost is $39.92. Shouldn't the cost for this part be the $0.49 multiplied by 44.26 cm3 which equals $21.69 plus the $1.50 for that part for a total of $23.19?

Can someone please explain how the pricing is calculated???
    The part in question is attached in this thread.
    Thx!

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The "machine space" is only indirectly related to the model geometry, it is the excluded space around the model where nothing else can be put, probably calculated by "virtually" rolling a sphere around the model surface. The model page has a breakdown of "material volume" and "machine space" underneath the size information, and if
    you put the cursor on the price in the big material table on that page you will get a popup showing the individual contributions of labor cost, material and machine space. In the 3dtools view, clicking on the "Machine Space" label in the menu will show the model geometry embedded in a blue cloud representing the excluded area. I have not looked at your file to see if this applies to your model, but generally one can reduce the machine space cost if any larger internal voids of the model are accessible by an opening at least 4 centimeters in diameter (which would allow them to place unrelated small objects there for printing).

rjdj likes this.
  3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Buggy or removed feature.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Checked that it appeared to work before I posted this.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Oh, wait, you meant & said the model pricing controls, not the product pricing ones. So it was fixed, but not updated to follow new things.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi @stannum

You can see those pricing breakdowns on your model information page.

www.shapeways.com/mymodels then click Edit under the model you are price checking.

I attached some examples of where you will see the pricing pop up, as well as the floating cost breakdown that appears when you hover over the model price: Material Measurements.JPG

Pricing Breakdown.JPG

Let us know if you have more questions about this!