Renders Not Updating

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by ryanscav, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    same here.. rendering issues.. cant get the models flipped the way they should..any fixes?

2. rlarocca
    rlarocca Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hi everyone, so we are actually dealing with two issues here:

One is when the "generate renders" button is stuck in loading. This is caused when something goes wrong while generating the renders. We then have to kill the process, which will stop the button from showing "loading" and allow you to generating renders again. This is a pretty large issue and we are currently working towards a solution.

The second issue is when the job completes but only some, or sometimes none of your renders actually changed poses. This is a caching issue. The new renders have been created, but our cache isn't being reset and is still showing the old renders. This is being prioritized here and we should have a fix for it soon.

Model_Monkey likes this.
  3. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    So.. now what.. we just wait? for your fixes? I got a bunch of flipped models that look pretty goofy that way..

4. Hi Robert, thank you so much for the update and for confirming that my shop was not insane. :)

You also set a great example of how to keep us informed. It is very clearly written and appreciated. I look forward to the repairs.

Any feel for when one or both of the fixes might make it into the production environment? And in the mean time, should we message service@shapeways, post here, or do something else for stuck renders?

5. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    For the record, I too see this. When I try to update a render, it might do nothing or it might render one or a few materials, in either case taking approximately forever. In this product
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/2QYPEBMW9/?key=931cd6a5b0761c843fea5423c00877d4
    you can see three different render poses.

It needs to not only work, but also be stable. Why must bugs constantly flicker in and out of every feature? I feel like you guys need to make a hire who is able to refactor your code to be more robust. I respect that it's a tremendous amount of work trying to maintain what you have, but really it shouldn't be this much work -- a good software environment doesn't feel like trying to climb a half-rotten ladder.

6. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    Any luck with the repairs.. a bunch of models a flipped and look strangely strange.. it says its rendering for a while.. then nothing happens...

7. Bathsheba
    Bump! I still see exactly nothing happening when I request a render update.

8. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    What bothers me right now beside the rendering not updating is that the renders keep flipping for no reason to the default plain... its really goofy, fix one and another flips sideways?

9. Bathsheba
  10. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    Agreed, one of the main reasons I haven't went public with the Shapeways shop.. everything renders in flipped or sideways.. over and over I try to update and still looks goofy.. I even deleted and upload new files and still things go wonky.. so until things look good.. I will not open the shop..

11. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    @woodguy32 I see a few bugs reports open for renders, I don't see one for the orientation flipping. Can you share a model that you're seeing this with?
    @Bathsheba I'll report this too, but it may be covered by an already open ticket.

12. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
  13. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
  14. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    @Bathsheba I'm told a fix should be deploying soon.

15. Bathsheba
    That would be pretty great. Thanks for paying attention, and I share your hope that the final state of this problem won't be an open ticket.

Renders are extremely important right now. In the old style item pages, customers could see thumbnails of all photos of a product no matter what material was selected, and had one-click access to them. Now when a material is selected all images except those for that material disappear -- which for the majority of materials means that only a single render is shown. There's no evidence, in that state, that any photos at all exist, and no obvious means or incentive for a user to keep looking for them. This throws tremendous weight on the renders.

For the record I think this was a wrong choice. Thumbnail images of all shopowner-uploaded photos should always be shown, whether or not their material is selected. I understand that this breaks consistency, but it will sell products. Photos are what sell products. Do you want to be consistent or sell products? Shapeways is not rubber-side-down on this decision right now.

But as long as it's this way, we seriously need the renders to look good. It's costing us sales that they don't.

16. rlarocca
    rlarocca Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hey everyone,

This caching issue has now been fixed and you should no longer have some renders not pose properly.

Even though this has been fixed on our side, your browser might have the bad images cached on your computer. The easiest solution would be to change your pose slightly and regenerate renders again. The new renders will overwrite the old ones in your browser's cache.

If you do not want to wait for a new renders to generate, you can clear your browser's cache. Here are some links to show you how to do so:

Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en
    FireFox: https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Cookies-and-cache/How-to-clear-the-Firefox-cache/ta-p/2472

If you use another browser, you can just google how clear the cache of that browser.

BattlegroundModels likes this.
  17. Bathsheba
    My bad product seems to have updated. Thanks!

MitchellJetten likes this.
  18. Thank you Robert (and team) !

19. woodguy32
    woodguy32 Active Member
    seems still to be an issue.. been going on for quite some time now.. every upload its a fight to get the rendering to work..

20. rick_reedra
    rick_reedra Member
    Doesn't work. Shouldn't be that hard.