Looking For The Best Beginner Printer

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 1474843_deleted, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hey there! I am baffled over what printer to get first, and with a budget of under $250 I have decided on these two.
    1. Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer with Heated Build Plate, Includes Micro SD Card and Sample PLA Filament - 115365 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FL49VZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ujFPybWDRSM55
    2. XYZprinting da Vinci mini 3D Printer, 5.9'' x 5.9'' x 5.9'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IXVXV9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ckFPyb5QD9DNX
    Please tell me which one I should purchase, or if you have another suggestion.

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer has a heated build plate whereas the XYZ does not. This is an extremely desirable feature since it helps to prevent warping during printing. Also, it will let you print a large verity of plastics, whereas the XYZ is only going to be ok for PLA (Polylactic Acid).

The Monoprice also lets one use slicing software of your choosing whereas the XYZ does not. This is very important because when you can use any software you'd like you can have much more opportunity to tweak your prints as opposed to being locked into one manufacturer's proprietary software. Also, there is far greater support from some of the more popular slicing software options available.

I didn't look further into it because those two factors alone are already enough for me to say that the Monoprice is better.

Shapeways has FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) printers too if you ever need to print something larger in their PLA (Polylactic Acid) material.

3. Ultimaker has made a name for itself since launching their eponymous Original 3D printer in 2011. Considered by many to be one of the most solid, all-around 3D printers on the market, the Ultimaker 2+ is our highest rated printer in the Prosumer category this year with a rating of 9.1. The Dutch headquartered company has also recently launched the Ultimaker 3.

Back with its white box design, the Ultimaker 2+ features a well-lit open front and semi-translucent sides similar, if not identical, to its predecessor, the Ultimaker 2. The Ultimaker 2+ improves upon the 2 and comes equipped with a new PT100 printhead, an upgraded heater cartridge and the ability to use different nozzle sizes. As a result, it can achieve a build speed volume of up to 24mm³/s with the 0.8mm nozzle.

The fan system is optimized as well, which makes for improved cooling and airflow. Ultimaker has also retained the modular nature of the printer, offering Ultimaker 2 owners an extruder upgrade to convert their Ultimaker 2 into an Ultimaker 2+.

Ultimaker is lauded by the community for implementing these upgrades based on feedback from owners of the previous model, with one reviewer saying “Superior build quality, precision engineering and a great support team, not to mention huge community are only some of the things that make the Ultimaker series of printers amazing! With community feedback taken seriously, the upgrade from Ultimaker 2 to 2+ basically fixed every known issue with the range so far, and with the upgrade also available as a kit for UM2 owners, this is simply perfection in customer service”.

Of course, a 3D printing ecosystem like the one offered by Ultimaker doesn't come cheap; $2,499 to be exact. Despite this price tag, a truly impressive 100% (!) of Ultimaker 2+ reviewers said that they would recommend their 3D printer to somebody else – beginners through experts.