Texture Wont Display (.dae)

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Pectabyte, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Pectabyte
    Pectabyte Member
    Hey guys,

I'm a 3DS Max user and i'm having a huge issue getting my models to display their textures properly in the previewer. None of my .DAE exported files will display their textures. Attached is an example model I built trying to figure out what the problem was. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've tried a .PNG version of the file and still no such luck.

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Trying to view your file with view3dscene it complains that it cannot find C:\Users\Alexander\Documents\3dsMax\export\testboxtexture.jpg - open your DAE in a text editor and remove all that local path and drive letter information from the filename in the "image ... init_from" statement near the top.

3. Pectabyte
    Pectabyte Member
    Still doesn't work. Does it work for you?

4. mkroeker
    Err, sorry, no - did not try originally, and now see that I cannot seem to get it to work with the dae although it is formally correct. Ended up saving it as .x3dv from view3dscene, removing all the "DEF <something>" and "USE <something> and turning the initial "Switch" into a "Group" from experience. Uploading that one zipped with the texture works, perhaps see if 3dsmax offers a direct export to wrl or x3d. (Fairly certain this came up a few times already but cannot remember what the preferred solution was, if any - forum search may tell)

5. Pectabyte
    Pectabyte Member
    I just tried importing my object into Blender and exporting it as .x3d (Max doesn't have an .x3d exporter) and now when I try to upload the Blender .x3d it says the texture file isn't found. When I open the .x3d file in notepad its got a file directory list that leads to my texture. What is going on here. I can't believe Shapeways wouldn't support 3DS Max and Blender.

6. mkroeker
    Does it have just the plain filename, or does it have a full directory path that only makes sense in the context of your computer (like in your original file) ?

7. Pectabyte
    Pectabyte Member
    Figured out the problem. When Blender exports a .x3d its looking for a texture file in ALL CAPS and evidently Shapeways importer is case sensitive. So Now I have to export my models from 3DS Max to Blender then export as .x3d and then open that .x3d in notepad and change the file its looking for to accurately reflect the textures file name then zip them both and upload. What a work around. I can't believe Blender doesn't have a way to change this and that Shapeways doesn't support .DAE files exported from 3DS Max...