Cinema 4d Export For Shapeways

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 1434218_deleted, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hello,

So I created an object in Cinema 4D because I have the program and used it for a variety of other things. After creating and following the blog tutorial on here from 2010, it says to export with 1000 mm scale whereas my modeling was done in mm. I know that dimensions are not real but relative scaling and positioning between objects. I only have one object but did a bunch of mesh editing to make what I want. I exported with the 1000 mm scale and import and Shapeways rejects it for having the walls less than 1mm which is wierd because it says that object is bigger than what I created (Cm:0.51 x / 0.076 y / 0.51 z). Here is the problem. My object is 201x24x201 mm with a minimum of 3mm walls. So their rejection means that obviously the scaling is wrong. But finding the right scale seems to be elusive. Anyone have any ideas?

I have attached the exported VRML in case this helps.

Thanks
    Pat

Attached Files:

2. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    I checked your file, it is actually so small that it doesn't show up in my viewport.
    But after upscaling with a factor 1000 I have an object (20.1*3*20.1mm)
    And your outer wall has a thickness of approximate 0.3mm

Hope it helps.
    Regards, Robert

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  3. 1068084_deleted
    1068084_deleted Active Member
    the blog tutorial on here from 2010 is not right .......
    It is easier than described there.....
    Set the standard dimension of cinema 4d to millimeter......
    Build your model It is not necessary to convert the primitive into poligonobjects, which makes the stl exporter automatic ....
    At the export (If the model has the size it should) exportscale is 1 (stl)
    Upload and that's it.....
    PS: I myself build my models (if they are very small) 10 times bigger.
    It's easier in C4D then (viewport). Exportscale is then 10 .. (stl)
    Greeting christian.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Exporting to VRML vs. STL might make a difference (standard unit of VRML/X3D is meter, not millimeter), and you'd need VRML/X3D for colored/textured models