Combining Robots: Yellowarden & Crimsonic

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by TreadshotA1, Dec 10, 2016.

1. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Hey Shapeways, here's how I'm wrapping up 2016: pushing the limits of 3D printed transforming figures. We've seen articulation, we've seen transformation. It's time for combination.

Yellowarden and Crimsonic are each fully functional articulated figures, that combine in both robot and vehicle forms. Each figure's Shapeways page is linked below. Full information for each figure is listed in forum threads on [www.tfw2005.com] including transformation and assembly instructions, linked below (click the images).

Yellowarden is a 100mm tall Robot armed with twin blasters. Transforms into an armoured ATV.

[​IMG]

Yellowarden on Shapeways

Crimsonic is a 75mm tall Robot armed with twin blasters. Transforms into a jet.

[​IMG]

Crimsonic on Shapeways

Team Red & Yellow: Combined Form

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

NoahLI likes this.
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Awesome work! Are they original designs?

TreadshotA1 likes this.
  3. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Thanks! Yes, Yellowarden and Crimsonic are both original designs.

4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    WOW I love these!

Can you share a little about the process for making these?

What are some of the challenges of designing for combination and articulation?

TreadshotA1 likes this.
  5. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Thanks. Yellowarden and Crimsonic started as most of my figures do; a fun concept, sketched and refined. Their transformation were the result of many other transforming figures I've designed, of knowing what works and what doesn't with Shapeways' materials. Their combination, however, was the result of many iterations. A basic idea of how the figures would interact, tested and tweaked; often one figure would need to provide what the other couldn't and vice versa. Remnants of this can still be seen in the combined mode, the rounded feet appear to be Crimsonic's, but are actually part of Yellowarden. Ultimately, a pair of combining figures needs to be a pair, designing both figures simultaneously allowed eaiser combination and a sturdier combined form.

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of combination isn't just making it possible, but making it feel possible. Transforming figures can be rather intuitive on their own, but for two different figures, their combined form isn't as obvious. In that sense, the biggest challenge was making the transformation simple and easy to understand; to combine, Yellowarden is partially dissassembled, before each section is transformed. Even though combination does require 39 steps [ as shown here: https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/yellowarden-crimsonic-combined-form-shapeways.1094072/ ], manipulating smaller sections is simpler, both to do and to communicate through instructions, resulting in a more accessible design.