Photographing Service?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Freakazoitt, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    Is it possible to provide such services - Shapeways will make photos of printed models and give the photo to the creator? I sold some models, but have no idea how well they printed out. Maybe need adjusting/improvements, and I do not know about that, and continue to sell the unfinished model? Also, a photo would help visitors to better measure the quality of the model
    I myself, unfortunately, can not order all the models and photograph them. I would like to have something like photo serice by SW
    What do you think?

2. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Yes, proposed that also some time ago. Also a professional product photograph can make a lot out of items. Thus sharing them via twitter facebook or other media will lead to more attraction and at the end it would be an advantage for SW and the designers.

Woody64

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I too would like to see the option, but I also can see why it's difficult or would be expensive.

Look at the various videos of the production facility.. There is no concept of a "conveyor belt" such that it could be done automatically.

So, to get "beauty shots" of the models is going to require a photo booth and a fair amount of manual labor.

There is also the issue that a fair amount of items (metals) are produced by partners, and NYC or Eindhoven may not open the package as it passes thru their distribution facility.

4. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    This is something that we have (and will again) seriously look into, but as @stonysmith notes, its a difficult process to automate or scale.

That said, if you could order all of your models you have for sale, would you go ahead and make beautiful photos of them? Is the only barrier that you cannot afford to order everything in your inventory? Or is it the task of taking professional looking photos?

5. Freakazoitt
    Not professional ones. Just for checking is there everything ok and for using as a picture of shop item.

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    StonyCan'tPaint(TM) . there is NO WAY that I can do a paint job of this quality.. This plane is barely 2" long. (https://shpws.me/CYb2)
    That's the problem with self-orders.. I could photograph the raw FUD, but the item will sell much better with this paint/decal/photo job done by my friend Karen Snyder. If only Shapeways could do FullColor FUD <hint> <grin>
    [​IMG]

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  7. sbhunterca
    sbhunterca Well-Known Member
    I have no problem taking high quality photos of my models, but where I do have a problem is in actually finding time to paint and assembling them all. Even though I order at least one out of each series of closely related models, I generally inspect them for fit, function, and any possible goofs, but raw FUD/FXD doesn't show up well in a photo.

I can't see any value in SW taking photos of raw FUD/FXD parts... they won't impress the customer even if both the model and photo are topnotch. With WSF and some of the other opaque plastics and metals, it might be a useful service. I'd recommend it as an extra cost service, as I don't want to subsidize it.

Steve Hunter

8. Freakazoitt
    Paid service is ok for me. But I prefer this will be done by SW or their partners when some desired model will be ordered by customer and made, not third party, who will ask money for bying models, for sending, for photographing, for loosing their time, for anything else