Help! Need To Fix A Wrl (3d Scan) To Print In Full Color Sandstone

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by Schecky, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Schecky
    Schecky Member
    Help-

I have a simple problem (I think): I have a color 3D scan merged with a base, saved as WRL format for printing in Full Color Sandstone. The file looks fine in Blender and Meshlab; however, when I upload it into Shapeways, the 3D scan section is gone the base is the only piece that appears.

This has got to be a simple conversion error, right? I need to make the scan+base as a printable model (scaled to 3.5 in wide), and probably hollowed out to save printing costs.

Can anyone help me with this? (File available upon request).

-P

PS-If I have the wrong forum, 1000 pardons; I'm new at navigating these forums...

2. tandre92
    tandre92 Active Member
    I could take a look at it. Maybe it separated as two shells instead of one.
    as a note, make sure the UV's are done on the wrl model, and have both files (texture file,(png or jpg) and wrl) compression zipped in one, to upload to the site.

You can send the file to me in a private message.

3. 104516_deleted
    104516_deleted Well-Known Member
    Hey @Schecky we have been doing a lot of that ourselves too - @AstridG do you know how we can help out here? :)

4. AstridG
    AstridG Shapeways Employee 3D Scanning
    @Schecky Indeed as @tandre92 mentioned you should upload all files as zip file. Both model and platform should be merged into one. We had the same kind of problem in the beginning. We wanted to merge two textured models (1 from the model and 1 from the platform) into one part and allways the texture of one of the parts was gone. We ended up making the platform just a painted one and not a textured on. If you want to have two textures you should merge them in a different program that can bake a texture (making 1 from 2). Hope this helps. If you still need help you can send me the file also if you want me to have a look at it.

5. tandre92
    tandre92 Active Member
    I cant seem to extract the texture from the model, (using netfabb, zbrush or maya) Is anyone able to do this so that Schecky can print their model. Also the base cylinder normals are revered, but that is an easier part of the fix than the baked texture

6. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    If it hasn't been done I would like to have a look at this, send any files to info@dotsan.com
    :)
    Vijay

7. Hey guys, I was originally trying to help @Schecky out with this a few weeks ago and was wondering what was the process of fixing it? After a bunch of exporting trials this was the best I could do...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what was screwing up the normals-- I checked the mesh in blender and all the normals were outward facing (check here for reference: http://imgur.com/a/bDuMp -- the inner normals lines are from the outer normals that were facing inwards)

Also I baked the textures onto vertex colors of the mesh because I was having issues with uploading a WRL with a reference to the texture in a zip file. I made sure to put the texture in the same directory as the mesh as well as use relative file path. I also tried exporting in DAE with the texture and still had processing errors on upload.

@Schecky mentioned this was all set, but I was just wondering what you guys did for future reference.

8. Schecky
    Schecky Member
    IMG_2352.JPG File printed, gift given. Many ooo's and ahh's over the final result.

Thank you all for your help here.