Thin Walls. How Do I Fix This.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by fredfx, Dec 6, 2016.

1. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Hi Everybody.

I want to print this in stainless steel. But I'm getting an issue that the walls are too thin.

How do I maintain the integrity of the design and still be able to print. I'm doing this in Stainless as a look see. It will ultimately be printed in silver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

best,

Fred

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Steel has its own restrictions as it is produced differently (steel powder is first glued to give a fragile object that is then sintered and infused with bronze), if you just want to check the general appeal of the object before paying for the more expensive silver, you may want to use the "strong&flexible" nylon (probably cheapest option) or brass (exactly same process as silver, also available rhodium-plated as another intermediately-priced option)

3. 3DPrintNovesia
    3DPrintNovesia Active Member
    Hey Fred,

How deep is the engraving?
    It looks a little bit to deep.

Try to reduce the depth to 0.5mm

Best Regards
    Jan

4. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    thin walls are likely the space between text; try greater spacing between letters, you need another 0.2 to 0.4mm between letters; and a heavy font, again, about 0.2 to 0.3mm worth. You might have enough material on the left/right to accomodate.

SS requires more robust design since the green print is fragile and the small spaces of the letters might not be properly filled with casting sand for bronze infusion and become filled in as result.

That said, this piece is likely close to printable for silver/brass/bronze and plated precious metals, which are cast. If you want to do a test print, white flexible is close to cast precious metals in terms of minimum wall and feature size and is better option than stainless steel material group.

5. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Thanks so much daddio. I really appreciate the detailed reply.

6. fredfx
    fredfx Member

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! You rock

7. fredfx
    fredfx Member

Thanks for the reply jan!

8. fredfx
    fredfx Member
    Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. It was the engraving depth!

3DPrintNovesia likes this.
  9. 3DPrintNovesia
    3DPrintNovesia Active Member
    You're welcome!

Best Regards Jan