3d Printer Purchase Vs Hire For 1/32 Scale

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 1388082_deleted, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I would like some recommendations on purchasing a 3d printer vs hiring costs for 1/32 scale figurines. I would be using it to make resin casting prototypes of farm people/ animals for my own use. I make farm dioramas in 1/32 scale. Don't have any interest in making it for resale.

Thanks
    Gregg

2. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    I would say, it depends on volume/quality you are looking for.

If you want to make big volume of (relatively) low-quality prints, then home printer can bee good choice.
    If you want to make low volume of high-quality prints, then its better to use services of professionals (like SW).

All the cheap (= "home") 3D printers are FDM technology. This is not good enough for 1/32 character models (look at the PLA material).
    If you look for higher quality (like High-definition acrylate on SW), you are looking for SLA (stereolitography) 3D printer ... which means 3-4000 USD (or are they cheaper?) and quite expensive material - printing resin.
    And long time to learn to work with the printing process - because its more difficult to master, then FDM or SLS.

3. Thanks for the great reply. I really appreciate it. Where should I post to pursue the possibility of making the figurines?

4. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    I'm sorry, my level of English obviously isn't good enough to fully understand the question :D

Are you looking for modeller?
    There is section 3D Design Requests in Community part of the forum.

5. 3DPrintNovesia
    3DPrintNovesia Active Member