3d Scanning! We Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by Adela, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adela
    Adela Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey friends,

We are on the verge of releasing 3D scanning (aka 3D selfies) to public and adding a lot of information to our Tutorials page.
    Our team is working hard on releasing tutorials on how to fix and prep such models using specific CAD programs, or how to operate a scanner if you own a scanning device yourself.

But is there something YOU would love to see covered in our tutorials? What should we focus on?
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

AstridG likes this.
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Any info on how this project goes beyond your current printing of "any applicable" uploaded models in FCS ? (Which I suspect may already be used by various one-person outfits that do the scanning&fixing)

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've had scans printed in porcelain, I love my bust of myself in white porcelain, looks very presidential.

3DPrintNovesia likes this.
  4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I'd thought real leaders got bronze statues, but anyway what is "new" compared to the current "upload any 3d file to get it printed" ?

5. 104516_deleted
    104516_deleted Well-Known Member
    @mkroeker these tutorials are about editing the color textures, light settings, adding items/props to complete the figurine etc. As we learned, sometimes "3D Photoshopping" is necessary to optimize the 3D scan before it's a finished product (and it'll make your scanned customers happier!). So a step before uploading ;-)

AstridG likes this.
  6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    One thing Shapeways could do is provide sample files in the various FCS compatible formats. That would allow people to dissect them and see how they were made.

AstridG and 104516_deleted like this.
  7. Adela
    Adela Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Great idea, thanks for your feedback, James!

AstridG likes this.
  8. UniverseBecoming
    :D

9. I'd say coloring is the main problem that I'm experiencing right now. I've placed 3 test models and still no acceptable result. Wasted more than 1 month and still can't market myself because of this stupid problem.

10. UniverseBecoming
    Hi Gio,

Perhaps if you explain some the details of the problem we can help you find solutions. I know the first time I tried to do full-color 3D printing it was difficult getting everything dialed in. What software are you using?

11. I have attached 2 photos. When we ordered regular file I have received the DARK one. Then we've changed the brightness and as it comes out it wasn't a problem at all. Colors of clothing is good in DARK file. However face is awful. I have attached the digital file for DARK (which is pretty good) you can view if you wish

As it appears I have to place couple more orders to get the result I want. But I'm afraid on the long-run I'll experience more and more problems of this kind. So I want to fix the problem once and for all. I want to confidently take responsibility of the quality of product that my customers will receive

Attached Files:

12. By the way @Adela was the person who fixed my other problem. She's great !!

13. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah, she's one of the good ones! :D

I think I see your dilemma here. Difficult to get right without more R&D. If you have Photoshop perhaps you could try color range selecting all of the brightest tones on the face and then increasing the color saturation in those areas. The ears look good to me when I look at your UV map and your two prints, so perhaps you can boost the overall color saturation to make the rest of the face match the ears. Also, maybe you could print out just the head as an array with a number of different edits and then see what head had the best settings.

14. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    This sounds exciting. What does FCS stand for?

15. @UniverseBecoming Thanks for your time. The most sad part is that I'm not the designer and the person who used to do all my files has left. Designers who I'm talking to are giving me the price as if we're on Mars already... So thank you anyways I'll try to communicate your message to my designer

@shawn_halayka Full Color Sandstone

shawn_halayka likes this.
  16. 104516_deleted
    104516_deleted Well-Known Member
    AstridG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.