Frosted Detail Plastic Wax-support "texture"?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 1266054_deleted, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Hello!

I am designing an aircraft model, and FDP looks the best material for details and overall smooth surfacing, thanks to the super-thin layers.
    In the material description though, Shapeways mentions that the wax support material textures the faces.
    Could someone post a picture of this texture? Any idea about how deep this texture is?
    Thank you anyway for reading this post!

BR from France,

Kekelekou

2. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    The texture is really a surface level roughness, there's not really a depth to it at all, its more just a slight change in color.

I actually just spent the last 20 minutes looking through the office/google images to find a good example of the texture difference on FUD, but truly, the difference is so subtle I couldn't find a good example of it. Let me keep looking and get back to you if I find one!

3. Hello,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I asked about this texture because you Shapeways mention it, and since the printed parts will be used as masters for silicone molding, I just want to make sure if this texture has any impact on the design/orientation of the parts.
    A picture would definitively help, thanks again for your support!

Kekelekou

4. he6agon
    he6agon Well-Known Member
    If the part is a conical shape, such as a nose cone for example, depending how the part is oriented for printing, you could see a rough texture on the underside of the nose and a smooth surface on the top. If the nose cone points straight up, you are less likely to see the rough texture but you may see stepping in the X and Y axes. A good way around the rough texture is to print the nose cone in two halves with the rounded exterior facing up, then assemble the part yourself before making the mold.

5. Hi Ryan, Thx for the tips.
    If you happen to have such a part next to you, could you please post a picture of this rough texture?
    I'd just like to figure out if I could smooth it with a primer coat.

6. hacketet
    hacketet Member
    Been there and it doesn't work. The surface has enough roughness to create a mechanical attachment between the silicone rubber and the master. If you want to pursue this approach, give the master several coats of a gloss finish to smooth over the roughness. The roughness is most pronounced on the surface normal to the direction of the printhead motion. Attached is a photo showing the difference.

Attached Files:

7. MikeyBugs95
    MikeyBugs95 Well-Known Member
    Like hacketet said, don't immediately make a mold with the naked plastic. The part and mold will be ruined if you do. Like hacketet suggested, several laquer costs will work or you paint the part with primer.

8. hacketet & MikeyBugs95 : thank you for the picture and the piece of advise. I'll prime the parts then.

9. AlanClogwyn
    AlanClogwyn Member
    It really is very noticeable and a real nuisance! It can also be very 'fluffy' almost, a lot like WSF and in this state the material is also far too fragile.

Here are some examples of model railway parts: DSXT2342-2.jpg

See the difference in finish between the upper portions with no support material and the underside of the diagonal bracing where it's much rougher.

BFI-_XTA8249.jpg
    Close up of some incredibly rough FXD chimneys. The base is 0.05mm thick.

_XTA4258.jpg

Another FUD/FXD patterning issue is this 'diamond' pattern you get on the ends of stuff - Sides tend to have horizontal lining whereas ends always seem to be covered in diamond hatching!

I'm moving over to BHDA for most of my needs now, generally far better finish though doesn't suit everything of course.

10. hacketet
    hacketet Member
    There is no perfect solution to all problems. I have been quite happy with the FXD process for many models - no so much with others. The attached photo shows some of the detail on an HO model of a Chesapeake and Ohio large cantilever signal bridge There was a bit of roughness on some outside surfaces that was easily removed with a sharp hobby knife. For mold making I have been experimenting with the new High Definition Acrylic process. It produces smooth surfaces and excellent reproduction of small details. You have to watch out for the small lumps that remain after support structure is removed.

Attached Files: