Full Color Sandstone Texture Not Found - Solved

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Renardi, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    SOLVED
    Okay so I have my DAE file out of Maya with a JPG for texture information, which has already had me jumping through a series of hoops to get this far.
    My polypaint importer plugin won't work in Maya 2014 and I can't export DAE files in 2015, both come up with errors or just crash. So I sent my file out of zbrush and UV mapped it to convert the vertex color to a texture in maya 2015 then sent the OBJ to 2014 and exported as a DAE, the textures show up in both versions. Wasn't sure how else to get the vertex color out and I couldn't find the options for the other filetypes. But it seemed like it was all working fine, but when I upload to shapeways it says there's no color.

The JPG and DAE have the exact same name, and are zipped together, they're under the file-size limit and polycounts, and the texture is 2048*2048.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    In Zbrush do you have the 3D Printer Exporter plugin installed? It will be found under the plugins tab. If not you can download it here. If you have 4R7 it will be already installed. By the way, they just a week or so ago came out with a new version of 3D print Exporter that they are now calling 3D print Hub.

All you do is transfer your vertex color to your UV map and then use the 3D Print Exporter to export as a VRML. When you update size ratios make sure the dimension numbers look right. If not, play around with it until it looks right by clicking on inches, then update, then mm, then update and so on until it looks right.

3. UniverseBecoming
    Oh and, I have a little tutorial on using Zbrush with Full Color Sandstone found here.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Make sure that the zip contains just the two files, no internal folders. Also check the dae file with a text editor - it will contain a reference to the jpg file name, and that again should be the plain file only, no folder names or drive letters prepended.

5. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Thank you, I'll try to use that next time on a piece that isn't so complicated. Zbrush crashes when I use their UV function for this one

Okay, so like this?? [​IMG]

6. UniverseBecoming
    If you use UV master make sure your base level is under something like 80k polygons, otherwise crashing becomes an issue.

7. mkroeker
    Yes, this looks correct.

8. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Darn it still didnt work. Do i need to remove the // or is there somewhere else I need to change it to just say Head2.jpg

9. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Yeah its 300k if I recall correctly, and already lost a ton of its detail. I don't think it can get this one lower, but certainly next time I will keep it in mind :)

10. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    Maya 2015 should still export DAE, DAE_FBX in the format option, might be only available in Export All instead of Export Selection. check plugin manager in Preferences make sure the right I/O plugin is loaded.

are your UV patches in 0,1? 3D apps automatically tile the texture, but 3d printing doesn't. Anything outside of 0 to 1 will have blank texture.

have you tried triangulating the mesh before export? Exporting quad/n-gons seems to loose texture link sometimes. Triangulating during export can mess up UV information.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  11. mkroeker
    Perhaps it would make sense (at least if NoahLi's suggestions do not help) to try some simple textured object first, e.g. a cube - then you could also upload the zip here for public dissection without disclosing your actual design work.

12. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Everything is triangulated and the UV is in 0,1. I'm not currently on my computer with Maya on it, but I can copy and paste the lines of code from the DAE for you to look over.

13. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    hm... I just tried exporting DAE from maya 2015 with several different setting combinations. no dice. I was wrestling with this yesterday too exporting out of Max. eventually I ended up using WRL, it was the only option that worked between DAE, X3D and WRL.

14. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Before the list of verts
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <COLLADA xmlns="http://www.collada.org/2005/11/COLLADASchema" version="1.4.1">
      <asset><contributor><author></author><authoring_tool>FBX COLLADA exporter</authoring_tool><comments></comments></contributor><created>2016-10-26T03:28:42Z</created><keywords></keywords><modified>2016-10-26T03:28:42Z</modified><revision></revision><subject></subject><title></title><unit meter="0.010000" name="centimeter"></unit><up_axis>Y_UP</up_axis></asset>
      <library_images>
        <image id="file1-image" name="file1"><init_from>file://Head2.jpg</init_from></image>
      </library_images>
      <library_materials>
        <material id="lambert2SG1" name="lambert2SG1">
          <instance_effect url="#lambert2SG1-fx"/>
        </material>
      </library_materials>
      <library_effects>
        <effect id="lambert2SG1-fx" name="lambert2SG1">
          <profile_COMMON>
            <technique sid="standard">
              <lambert>
                <emission>
                  <color sid="emission">0.000000  0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
                </emission>
                <ambient>
                  <color sid="ambient">0.000000  0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
                </ambient>
                <diffuse>
                  <texture texture="file1-image" texcoord="CHANNEL0">
                    <extra>
                      <technique profile="MAYA">
                        <wrapU sid="wrapU0">TRUE</wrapU>
                        <wrapV sid="wrapV0">TRUE</wrapV>
                        <blend_mode>NONE</blend_mode>
                      </technique>
                    </extra>
                  </texture>
                </diffuse>
                <transparent opaque="RGB_ZERO">
                  <color sid="transparent">0.000000  0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
                </transparent>
                <transparency>
                  <float sid="transparency">1.000000</float>
                </transparency>
              </lambert>
            </technique>
          </profile_COMMON>
        </effect>
      </library_effects>
      <library_geometries>
        <geometry id="pCylinder4-lib" name="pCylinder4Mesh">
          <mesh>
            <source id="pCylinder4-POSITION">
              <float_array id="pCylinder4-POSITION-array" count="391320">

After the list of verts
    Code:
    </p></triangles>
          </mesh>
        </geometry>
      </library_geometries>
      <library_visual_scenes>
        <visual_scene id="Head2" name="Head2">
          <node name="pCylinder4" id="pCylinder4" sid="pCylinder4"><matrix sid="matrix">1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</matrix><instance_geometry url="#pCylinder4-lib"><bind_material><technique_common><instance_material symbol="lambert2SG1" target="#lambert2SG1"/></technique_common></bind_material></instance_geometry><extra><technique profile="FCOLLADA"><visibility>1.000000</visibility></technique></extra></node>
          <extra><technique profile="MAX3D"><frame_rate>24.000000</frame_rate></technique><technique profile="FCOLLADA"><start_time>0.041667</start_time><end_time>2.000000</end_time></technique></extra>
        </visual_scene>
      </library_visual_scenes>
      <scene>
        <instance_visual_scene url="#Head2"></instance_visual_scene>
      </scene>
    </COLLADA>

15. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    How do you even export WRL? Is it a Max thing? If I can import it into Max to convert it to WRL that'd be fantastic.

16. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Okay here is the cube, still no color according to shapeways

Attached Files:

17. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    yea max2015 will go out to WRL or X3D. though WRL was the only one that I got to working textures with SW. had to Triangulate before export and UV in 0,1

18. mkroeker
    Seems to be a problem with shapeways' DAE import - I could not get the cube to work either, no matter how much I edited the file and although it always looked good in view3dscene.
    What I finally did was export an X3D (x3dv) file from view3dscene, edit that to remove the "file://" from the image name
    and remove those VRML/X3D commands that I know shapeways does not support (removed the "USE box1" at the end,
    turned the single-option "Switch" statement into a "Transform")

19. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Okay so while I was waiting for my student version of max to install I imported it back into Zbrush as an FBX in hopes to maybe bypass Zbrush trying to UV it, which actually worked (I hadn't known I could even do that before), flipped the UV's as Universe suggested in his Tips and Tricks and exported as VRML/WRL file and that worked.

20. Renardi
    Renardi Member
    Thank you all for the help I really appreciate it :)