Wednesday Wips - Dec 21th

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Hello Friends,

Welcome to Wednesday WIPS! This thread is a place to share what you are currently working on for this week and getting ready to send to the printers. Show us a picture, tell us what the project is and if you’re looking for any advice or are looking for a critique ask away.

[​IMG]

READY

SET

GO!

CopperBezel and NoahLI like this.
  2. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I've been playing around with the new ability to customize sandstone material using CustomMaker. My BMO started out as a test piece to get a better handle on designing for color sandstone but I was always unhappy about being stuck with one screen image or facial expression. I created a sample DIY BMO and uploaded sample customization images into the image bar. The idea is someone could download one of the images and then use it to customize their BMO. Or they could edit the supplied images or generate their own from scratch. So much better than having multiple designs with various expressions cluttering the store. Now if only the images could be customized using color!
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/D29VF4684/mini-bmo-2-5-inches-diy

BMO customize.jpg

I think I'll do a different design today using this same concept. I have more BMOs at home from development work than I know what to do with!

3. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Working on a project enclosure for a new art project. Part structural elements of holding 2 LED strips encased in a polycarbonate tube into position and then providing a way to mount and organize the electronic elements. The final form is a 6 foot standing triangle that cast shadows as you move your arms inside. Uses ultasonic sensors to detect movement. Makes sounds something like a theremin as well.

First prototype in wood above, now the first 3D printed piece. Likely one more rev needed to get all the bits fitting properly.

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

Ontogenie and Andrewsimonthomas like this.
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I haven't done a whole lot 3D recently, mostly been playing with my laser. But I did scan my friend last week, need to clean up for printing. Charles.png

5. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    Some vert pushing on the 4th set, American
    american.jpg

CopperBezel likes this.
  6. virginia_gordon
    virginia_gordon Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Working on a small porcelain tray for jewelry or keys. End goal is to have the model enabled in custom maker so that customers can place their own image or text in the tray.

Attached Files:

7. MrNibbles
    Well this went faster than I thought it would. It's a copy of the desk name plate that was issued to me at the University for use in my dingy 3rd floor office. The original was one of those laminated plastic name plates that were milled to remove the top white layer and show a name in the underlying black layer material. Then the plastic name plate was glued onto a triangular piece of wood. Spectacular. But now in the 21st century you can design the whole thing for printing in full color complete with a fake wood grain pattern on the fake wood base. Even more spectacular!

You can enter a text line, an image, or both. The patterns are engraved to a depth of 0.5mm, which I assume will be sufficient. The image area is approximately 1 x 5 inches.

I have put this snazzy item up for sale in my shop in both full color sandstone and coated full color sandstone. It's hollow so it's not crazy-crazy expensive, although I suppose even when hollow it might be too expensive for Universities to afford these days.

[​IMG] .

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KFXB6H56F/wood-grain-name-plate-for-desk

Good Shapeways friends don't let Jimmy sit at his workstation without a name plate.

jimmy_advice_name_plate.jpg

8. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    Too expensive even hollow? hard to believe given how much tuition is these days. Haha

9. MrNibbles
    We can only hope that a new full color plastic printer will arrive that prints 8 times faster allowing production costs to be reduced by a factor of 2. Or more!

10. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    still Wed for EST

[​IMG]

Andrewsimonthomas likes this.
  11. Andrewsimonthomas
    Great!! Thanks for participating in the first Wednesday WIPS guys, that was fun.

@MrNibbles these look very cool, glad you're putting them together. Also can't say anything but the magic shapways genie may hear your wish.....

@AlanHudson very cool, presumably this will be for setting things on fire in the Nevada desert? :)

12. MrNibbles
    I'm gonna say Wednesday was a good day for wood grain. This will definitely need some more development work!

wood_things.png

13. MrNibbles
    Oh one more thing I thought of while making the name plate for sale. It's an office product but there's not a good category for office supplies. There's an office entry under gadgets or toys or something but that isn't a good fit. I think I put it under home accessories for lack of a better place. Any suggestions as to where non-home items like this might fit best?

14. MrNibbles
  15. Andrewsimonthomas
    This week in Wednesday WIPS I'll share one of my projects

its an experiment to make a crank operated track-- similar to slot cars or something. The idea is that the crank pushes little metal ball bearings which in turn tug along magnetic objects. I made a test print at home and it was reasonably successful so I've just started looking at making more.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 11.21.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 11.22.25 AM.png

video is here https://www.instagram.com/p/BC8P0hqJxxv/

16. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    neat! how did you get the bearings in the track? was it printed in 2 pieces?

17. Andrewsimonthomas
    @NoahLI its in 3 parts, the crank and the wheel come apart and theres a little opening to feed in the balls. the track was made to fit them all in perfectly so theres minimal space and the crank moves each one forward as they pass

18. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
  19. MrNibbles
    For this WIPS I decided to play with bricks. I created brick pillars and walls each in 3 scales (HO, W, and Z). The scales are somewhat overlapping, I guess, because bricks can be different sizes. It's a bit of a problem in selecting variants because you can't really say a design might span the scales of 1:110 through 1:220. For example a 12 foot pillar in Z scale (1:220) would be a 6 foot pillar in the twice as large (1:110) scale. Height would be proportional for scales in between. It's a special case for something like bricks because bricks can vary widely in size so a specific model could fit into a range of scaled dioramas. Maybe a better approach for searchability is to instead set variants by small, medium, and large, but if you ever generate more than 5 scaled sizes then you run out of size variant options.

I have an empty table that seems to be asking for a diorama of some sort in some yet to be determined scale. Much as my shop it will probably end up being a hodge podge of elements and themes.

[​IMG]
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/C9HL52V2D/mini-brick-pillar

[​IMG]
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/3MBKE6J6K/mini-brick-wall

I have calculated that the US/Mexican border could be completely walled using approximately 50.2 million HO scale wall sections, at a total cost of approximately $1.1 billion dollars, and a nice chunk of money sent back to my account from mark-up royalties. So if anyone with a lot of money wants to start such a project I would be most grateful!

20. Andrewsimonthomas
    very nice.... hahaha very provocative too.