Coloring Of Figurines

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1304700_deleted, Oct 20, 2016.

1. What do I have to do to get better results? (see attached pics below)
    Everything looks perfect in 3D file. However I receive these awful models. What should I do about it?
    Can I get a tech support or something?

Colors.jpg

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Are these two prints of the same model file, or did you change color saturation between the two ? And is it plain or coated sandstone ? (Varnishing may bring out the colors a bit more by reducing scattered light from the rough surface.) All in all I think you cannot expect photographic quality from the current process (gypsum powder plus simple four-color inkjet), best possible result would probably be the guy on the right wearing the left guy's sweater.

3. NoahLI
    NoahLI Well-Known Member
    those looks about right for color sandstone prints.

4. @mkroeker Sorry for late answer. Yes both of them are the same file. When I received dark one what we did is we've changed the brightness. And I've received this super light colored model afterwards. I'm not sure if lowering the brightness will fix the problem.

And yes it is regular Full Color Sandstone

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Seems that you changed the brightness of the entire texture while you will probably need to modify colors individually for best results - take the lighter version and make just the blues darker again perhaps. As the printer has only black plus the three primary colors (and also converts from RGB to CMYK colorspace), it is not as nuanced as a modern photo printer.
    As shapeways recently expressed intention to provide a series of tutorials about "3d selfie" preparation https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/3d-scanning-we-need-your-help.54146/ hopefully there will be more detailled suggestions available from them soon. (I have only used the material for schematic models and false-color diagrams, never with real-life photographic textures)

AstridG and Gio_13 like this.
  6. Thanks! I just posted there. Hopefully they can fix this problem soon. For now I'll have to waste more time before I start getting customers. Wasting time for no real reason

7. AstridG
    AstridG Shapeways Employee 3D Scanning
    We've just posted our first blog story about 3D scanning here:

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/arch...es-are-all-around-you-and-theyre-amazing.html

We hope you enjoy it and if you have questions or want us to talk about a specific subject, please let us know.