3d Printing A Chain

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1342191_deleted, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Hi!

I'm new to shapeways and I would like to ask for advice. I would like to print a chain (jewellery) but the 3D model is too big for the bounding box.
    What would you recommend? Is it possible to print it in two parts, in a way that the chain is still connected?
    Or should I arrange the chain pieces in a way that it fits into the bounding box?

Any advice about 3D printing chains in general? Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Files:

• 10.PNG

10.PNG

File size:
      143.4 KB
      Views:
  2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Which material are you planning to use ? For the plastics, looping the chain so that it fits would work (I think there are a few examples of this in the SHOP section of the site), but metals are currently limited to six connected pieces. (The material is cast from a printed wax master, and they need to join the links for casting and clip off those connections afterwards)

3. White, polished plastic. So it would have to fit in 200x150x150 mm bounding box if I understood correctly. I think it will fit if I loop it.

Do you think it's printable? Are there any issues that I missed?
    Also I want to make a clip at the end an I don't know yet what kind. I thought about some kind of thread or snap fit. But both are little risky. I'm afraid that it won't work or break.

Thank you so much for your help!