Modifications To 3d Model Required - Bike Mount

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1328883_deleted, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Hi,

I have received the .stl file from the manufacturer for the mount for my bike and they are happy for modifications to be made.

For the 'receiver' to fit my bike mount I require the screw holes to be "extended" by 3mm.

Below are a couple of photos with the receiver on the left (black) being very similar to the end result although for a different model. The receiver on the right (blue) should be what the .stl file looks like before the modifications have been made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the receiver to fit my bike mount the following modifications would be required:

Add 3mm extensions to the screw holes. The outer diameter is 7mm and the inner diameter screw hole is 3.5mm:
    [​IMG]

For the next bit i'm not sure how to do this but I require screw inserts which you can see in the black receiver on the left. To be honest these could even be done in plastic if it is strong enough as once in place they would not be removed:
    [​IMG]

To give you an idea of how the finished product would sit in the mount, below are a couple of photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've attached the .stl file to see if the above is achievable and also to get your thoughts.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Your STL looks a little different from your blue receiver. The one in the images has countersunk holes, while the STL does not. I made this animated GIF so you could get and idea of how it looks. I noticed you fixed your images. You're pretty quick! :D

I don't think I have time to work on this, but you will get lots of quotes. If you could find out the thread size of those inserts it would be helpful. If the manufacturer gave you the STL they may provide you with the thread size as well.

Model info.gif

3. Thanks for the reply,

You're right the countersunk screw holes do appear to be missing in the .stl file.

While writing this post it has also highlighted that the changes requested may actually bring their own problems.

I'm going to remove this thread until I can be certain of the impact the changes will make.

Thanks for your time though.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    1328883_deleted likes this.