Variant Model Search Nearly Unusable

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by dfoley75, Oct 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dfoley75
    dfoley75 Well-Known Member
    When I try to set up variants on one of my ring designs, I get to the part where I have to assign a model to each variant. I try to search for the model, but it rarely finds it. It finds all kinds of other models totally unrelated to my search, and then as I scroll down, the list changes. Below is a screenshot. Sometimes if I change the search terms it works better, but other times I get a message that says "No matches were found" or "There was a problem".

Variants.jpg

2. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    How about using something like this (but that works) to create a short list of models within the product, and then for each material choose from that short list, rather than the list of all my models?

Then at least I'd only have to choose each model from the full list once, rather than dealing with it for every. single. material. The way it is now doesn't work well.

3. 908280_deleted
    908280_deleted Shapeways Employee Product Team
    Hi @dfoley75

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this - to help us recreate the issue and resolve it, could you share which Product you were adding variants to and which search terms resulted in this:

Sometimes if I change the search terms it works better, but other times I get a message that says "No matches were found" or "There was a problem".

Again - apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

Hunter

4. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Also the normal search in mymodels makes troubles. It seems to me that some characters are used as delimeters. I can definitely say it for space. "5 x" gives no result, whereas "5x" results in list of items which are actually named "5 x ....". I think the search in variants is using the same mechanism. At least I think I was able to reproduce the failure there also.

5. dfoley75
    Hunter - The one I was trying to do was this ring and all the different models I have of it: http://shpws.me/EGnd

Right now it is setup the "old" way. When I was trying to set up variants I got to the point where I had to assign a model to each variant. That search function simply would not find the model names I was typing in. It would either come back blank, or show me a list that did not match my search at all. It would maybe like 1 out of 10 tries. So if I tried it over and over again, it might eventually find the correct one. I finally got to one where it didn't work after like 25 tries and I gave up. You can see in that screenshot that it found some models that didn't even have the words I was typing. I haven't tried it since then. Have any improvements been made where it would be worth trying again?

6. dfoley75
    OK so I renamed all my files and also re-uploaded them. This way they are higher up in the model list to select from. I could get it to work then. I just can't go back and re-use my models I uploaded way back when. The search just can't find them.

7. dfoley75
    The thing that really sucks about having to re-upload all my models to get this to work is all of them will revert back to "first to try" even though many of them have been made multiple times already.