Geared Whiplash - Manual Version By Oskar

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Oskar_van_Deventer, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Oskar_van_Deventer
    Oskar_van_Deventer Well-Known Member
    Hi Non-Twisty Puzzles fans,

Geared Whiplash is a Yo-Yo-type gearing contraption with no obvious use other than tactile amusement. It is a snake of gears, in which each segment drives the next segment. The shape can be curled up quite compactly. It gradually unrolls and when it is nearly fully unrolled, it sweeps around like the end of a whip, hence the name "Geared Whiplash". After the whipping, the contraption rolls up again and the sequence repeats.

Watch the YouTube video.
    Buy the puzzle at my Shapeways Shop.
    Read more at the Non-Twisty Puzzles Forum.
    Read more at Reddit.
    Play with the mathematical emulation by Julian Poon.
    Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
    [​IMG]
    Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-1.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-2.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-3.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-4.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-5.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-6.jpg Geared-Whiplash---manual---view-7.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Illogical
    Illogical Member
    This is fantastic! Oskar, you never fail to amaze.

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Whoa! That is really creative Oskar! Congratulations! :D

I watched both of the videos you made on it. I can envision you making a nice profit on this in the coming years. You should consider getting a patent on it and whatever variations that can be thought of on it. And of course, having it mass manufactured.

I wonder what variations there can be for this? Like for the motorised one maybe different gear ratios, with different lengths and different fixed axes and rotating in different directions. And if that could be done then maybe if a random component could be added somehow it may end up being like an astounding kaleidoscope effect!