Bicycle Enthusiast Needed

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 1318934_deleted, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Hi,

First ever official post regarding 3D printing.
    I'm after some guidance or a designer willing to also do a short production run of parts for an out-of-production part.
    Specifically a recreation of spoke washers in Aluminum for Shimano WH-R540 wheels.
    These funky 16 spoke wheels went out of production in early 2000's. They were unique in design but required a 'special' washer that's no longer available. I have a set of these wheels and would like to replace the existing washers. I'm considering milled billet Alloy but now 3D printing can be done in alloy im considering that also.
    I'm keen to hear from any bicycle enthusiast's out there who might be interested rework a short production run with me as the client.
    Keen to hear everyone's thoughts.

A.

Attached Files:

2. Green_Tourmaline
    Green_Tourmaline Well-Known Member
    So your washer looks like a easy design to make. What are need are super fine measurement of the washer. Pictures of the top and sides as well. I would advice you to have it printed in plastic first to test because a metal ones would be around $25.

1318934_deleted likes this.
  3. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    I recommend to make this washers on a lathe. 16 pcs should be done in 30 Minutes
    3D printing: Minimum bounding box for aluminium X + Y + Z > 30 mm

4. Hi there,

The lathe was my initial thought, simple bar stock, drill out, turn down, cut off, simple. However - and once I have a few hi-res photos I can show you there's a channel cut on the back for the spoke shaft. Plus where the spoke head sits is a cup with a continuous tapered opening. Little trickie, but I would defer to your knowledge of reproducing these with your own machines and knowledge. Will send some pics shortly.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

5. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    I do not own machines.
    Because the channel & tapered opening it might be better to 3D print these washers.

But:
    You should measure the washer with a caliper to provide the dimensions.
    As already told,- You should regard the printing restrictions.
    To reach the minimum size, the washers should be connected together with wires.
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/aluminum

Min Wire Thickness [​IMG]1.5 mm thick
    Suggested 2.0 mm thick

Actually I donĀ“t know if it is possible to place the wires and to cut them off after printing