WSF render pictures

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Freakazoitt, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    Background is white. Model is white. How do user supposed to see anything?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Do you think it should be the same background as the frosted materials? Should all Nylon materials be the same background, or just white should be different?

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Sometimes the white renders are ok, but sometimes they are very washed out. It's not just the background color but also the shading intensities used. Lately I have been using the white object render from Tinkercad as the default WSF material photo (and caption it as external render) for a consistent look across the store. For a model that is originated in another program I can upload the stl format file into Tinkercad to get the Tinkercad render, although that process can add some noise to the image because Tinkercad appears to lower the resolution of uploaded objects.

The aspect ratios of the Tinkercad renders are slightly different but that doesn't seem to cause any huge headaches. Here are the three renders for an example model in my store. Note that you can also upload a render from another program if you find that to work best for your model.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S47XSTB2X/aquarium-floatin g-mine-with-short-chain

Old SW render:
    [​IMG]

New SW WSF render:
    [​IMG]

Tinkercad white render:
    [​IMG]

4. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Just white should be different.

5. Freakazoitt
    Agree

6. coines23
    coines23 Well-Known Member
    Agree here too.

Although, the WSF blowout effect encouraged me to get a new monitor, and they look fine to me now :)

7. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    I'll add another vote for this (and I've suggested it before). I don't much care which background color you pick, as long as it provides better contrast than the current "polar bear in a snowstorm" effect of white-on-near-white.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Bathsheba
    Yeah, bump here -- this is the most popular material so it would be nice if it looked decent!

9. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    +1

I would choose grey (something like 200,200,200).
    Generally, I like the idea, that it is visible what material is in the render on first sight.
    I would even choose slightly different colours for FUD and FXD.

10. Sparkshot
    Sparkshot Well-Known Member
    WSF is popular because it is the onlh material that comes near to being affordable.
    Polat bear in a snow storm - I like that.

I also suggest if possible the renders could be in a better resolution as they are all fuzzy,.same for the dlightly interactive turntable render. Rather mushy. Of course I understand this is likely due to data use.

11. 388789_deleted
    388789_deleted Well-Known Member
    Hey all,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions here. Seen this request for improvements to WSF and WSFP renders come up a few times recently, so I'm going to pass along this issue to our team internally and work to get improvements made here.

Thanks again for helping us improve.

-Trey

12. Sparkshot
    Sparkshot Well-Known Member
    Would it be possible for us to chose the background colour before it renders?

13. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    Given the variety of materials and colors are generally vivid or dark, I think the lighter blue color used behind the FUD and FXD renders would look fine on the renders in every material, personally. Blue is also proven to be the most pleasant color on the eyes (hence FB, Twitter and this fine site for SW all tend to use blue color schemes for their websites) so it would be nice for customers to not only see the render but also have a pleasant background for all of them. maybe this is because I'm slightly OCD and prefer consistency between the material renders, but having it jump from blue for WSF to white for other color SF plastics and back to blue for the frosted plastics just seems odd to me and is something that may bother customers looking through the material renders on a product page. Consistency is always more conducive to a pleasant experience.

Although, if as Sparkshot mentioned above, we were able to choose our own color(s) then we would have the power to decide. Not sure how much of a headache this would add to the process since the material renders are already buggy as hell but once the issues with render poses not working properly are sorted out, this could be a great option to consider.

14. Freakazoitt
    Still white models on white backgrounds :(

15. Bathsheba
    Yep. Needs fixing.