Video of Printing Process

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by 405350_deleted, May 19, 2016.

1. As awesome as it is to see a part as a 3d model and then (soon after) as a physical object, I think I speak for most designers when I say that I would pay extra to see my part actually being printed in the turnaround time while I wait for the delivery.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Several others have suggested this in the past - only to learn that in the majority of cases there would not be that much to see as shapeways typically prints many different designs together, and in the case of strong&flexible, sandstone and steel everything is buried within a block of caked raw material anyway...

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Pay careful attention to timecode 0:05 thru 0:15 of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNGnfoGGfQ
    Then repeat that 8600 times (a full day of printing).

That's the exciting life of 3d printing with White,Strong,Flexible.

Because WSF forms it's own support structure, you can only see a single layer of the build at once.
    Not super-exciting to watch.

I do think that FUD and some of the other technologies are more interesting to watch, but then you run into the issue that some designers don't want their models publicized. Shapeways would have to video a batch of public models, or a test run.

4. LrdSatyr8
    LrdSatyr8 Well-Known Member
    It might be nice if you guys did a video of how each of the different types of material are actually printed for demonstration purposes. Like a from clicking ORDER NOW to receiving it at your doorstep kinda thing. Make a different one for each of the different types of materials... like one for WSF, one for FXD, one for GOLD, one for SANDSTONE, one for ACRYLIC, etc. Then have it available to view by customers while they wait to get their printed parts. This would give them an idea of how the whole process works and may actually answer alot of questions that us store owners get asked on a consistent basis. Then they wouldn't have to see the actual part they are having printed but would understand a little more how the whole process is done.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Did you check out shapeways' youtube "channel" e.g. via the video link stonysmith posted above ? Most if not all materials/processes are already there (although the channel unfortunately suffers from about the same clutter as the blog, and the promisingly-named "Materials" playlist only has videos of some guy or gal talking and pointing at some
    printed models). In particular the "How 3d printing works" playlist at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB1379Ylrc1prJPPpCPthei51bteGMJsK has a pretty good overview of several processes and the general workflow and work environment at shapeways NY and seperate videos for WSF,FXD,FCS and the precious metals.
    Somehow the older but still relevant "shapeways 3d metal printing" video showcasing the "steel" (https://www.youtube.com/B9VOwqtOglg) was left out from that playlist but is easily locatable, as are the time-lapse videos of factory tours in both New York and Eindhoven.